Civilized Models, large scale air racers on the way.

86Sabreboy1

Civilized Models opened for business in early September of this year producing short run mixed media kits of many of the historic air racers those of us who love the unlimiteds have come to know such as the Bud Lite Super Corsair, RB-51 Red Baron and Voodoo as well as many others. While the focus has been on small scale 1/72 and 1/48 scale subjects they are producing 1/32 scale subjects as well.

These kits consist of resin cast parts with vac form clear parts and white metal landing gear. They are very accurate representations of the real air racers in some cases multiple kits of the same aircraft have been produced to represent specific modifications/time period over the history of the aircraft subject. As is often the case with mixed media kits there are the typical challenges of part fit and clean up from the casting process. Civilized Models is a one man business and this is to his credit not to be overly critical of the product. 

While the emphasis is on smaller scale kits 1/32 scale kits are on the way for those of you who want to add to your collection of Fisher kits. Civilized Models can be found on Facebook, here is a link to the home page-

I'm with you on those, Hubert!  ... Particularly if it includes markings for the final iteration of Tsunami...   :frantic:

gLzCHca.jpg

iUeUHcy.jpg

F3Mjm4R.jpg

wp58Nk5.jpg

I took these during the 1991 Reno Air Races - tragically the plane and owner were lost on the flight home from Reno just a few days after I captured these images. I have quite a few images of the Pond Racer as well - unfortunately they are still packed from our move and haven't surfaced yet. Two amazing aircraft and pilots that sadly met the same fate. Air racing is a very dangerous sport.

Cheers!

John.

Indeed sad end for Tsunami. Personally I love the Speed and early versions with the natural metal and blue!   It appears they are moving forward with these in fact, and I went on their site and looked, and lots of cool stuff there!

I even dropped CivilizedModels a note on what is probably my all time favorite unlimited:

"Hello CivilizedModels,

I am very much looking forward to your Tsunami in 1/32nd. If you are moving forward with the 1/32nd Unlimited racers, please to consider "Miss Ashley II". "

Less that one day later this is their response - 

Civilized models replied to your message:

it's on the list

Oh shes a beaut, and will be amazing looking in 32nd! 

20-%20Don%20Bucky%20Dawson%20photo-%20NX

I'm with you on those, Hubert!  ... Particularly if it includes markings for the final iteration of Tsunami...   :frantic:

gLzCHca.jpg

iUeUHcy.jpg

F3Mjm4R.jpg

wp58Nk5.jpg

I took these during the 1991 Reno Air Races - tragically the plane and owner were lost on the flight home from Reno just a few days after I captured these images. I have quite a few images of the Pond Racer as well - unfortunately they are still packed from our move and haven't surfaced yet. Two amazing aircraft and pilots that sadly met the same fate. Air racing is a very dangerous sport.

Cheers!

John.

Great pictures!!!

Tsunami's fate wasn't due to air racing so much as John Sandberg having what we call in the aviation industry, get-home-itus. The aircraft was "tired" after air racing and had a number of issues. Skip Holm got her partly home but had to put down due to bad weather. He specifically told JR not to come out and fly the airplane because of her condition but he wouldn't listen. A flap system had been installed (not originally designed into the aircraft) on Tsunami so John could fly her, otherwise it was too much airplane for him. When he attempted to land for a fuel stop the flaps deployed asymmetrically resulting in it rolling over at low altitude and crashing. Had John been patient Tsunami might still be airworthy today rather than going through an extensive and slow rebuild process. So air racing wasn't the direct result, the aircraft could've received maintenance or in the hands of a more capable pilot like Skip Holm could've gotten her home given a little more time.