Tamiya Spitfire MkIXc

Tinbanger

I consider this to be one of if not the best plastic model kit ever made, and also among the most important. The engine assembly and engine covers are a marvel of plastic engineering that with care all go together in a sublimely perfect assembly. I don't say this as a Spitfire fan, I did not build one of these for a long time because I did not think the Spitfire IX personally that interesting. But every model airplane enthusiast should build this kit before they die just for the experience of scale model perfection.

Edited by cbk57

Richard, same for me as well.

Every time I'm in TO I always, always make it a point to visit.

Great to see a hobby store totally dedicated to nothing but plastic kits; I usually schedule a whole afternoon to just browse around and take it all in.

Dave

They are a great shop. One of the best stocked around too. Plus the staff are always willing to help out if needed.

As for the Spitfire, I think you'll find is a fantastic kit. I've managed to complete 6 of them and wasn't really a Spitfire fan until the Tamiya kit came out.

Carl

Good choice Richard. And Wings and Wheels is an amazing shop! I always stop when I am in Toronto (or make special drives in from Kingston...two and a half hours), and never get out of there without buying something. It's always good for at least an hour visit, there is just so much in stock from all over the world...wish I had photos of their shelves to post here. They have an excellent selection of books, tools and after-market as well, and the staff is always ready to help you get things they don't have. They seem to be bucking the trend of store closings. I'm doing my best to keep them going :-)

Guys

Virtual tour of Wheels and Wings   http://www.wheelswingshobbies.com/index.php/virtual-tour

Have a good look around.... and its all plastic and no RC!

Then there is the basement.... kit collections they have purchased for re-sale.

If your ever in TO its a must see. Just be ready to spend hours and hours, and hopefully your credit card wont melt.

Great choice, and a great subject, from all the reports and builds that I have read this is THE kit of the Spitfire, one day I will pluck up the courage to start mine.

Cheers

Dennis

Dennis This kit does not take courage, it really is a follow the directions and clean up the joints carefully kit that builds perfectly. It is really a marvel of model kit design that goes together increadibly well. With these 1/32 kits if you have a gap it usually is the builder not the model, careful cleanup of the molding tabs and it builds almost seamlessly. Maybe the tinies bit of filler hear and there but it really is not a hard build, just dive in.

If there were a bucket list of must build models based only upon the quality of the build experience, this kit would be near the top.