Italeri 1/35 PT 596

dodgem37

Just beautiful construction work Mark!

I'm not a ship modeller, but this is the best example of one of these PT boats that I've ever seen, looking forward to seeing what you do with the paintwork, although, it is a bit of a shame to cover all that brilliant construction work...LOL!

Cheer's,

Jeff.

Thanks, Guys!  You're the Man, Dan!  I owe it all to you.  I can't wait to finish up the Sinai Mustang so I can get back to this and start painting.

Then it'll be on to the HpH Catalina.  Another one I'm looking forward to building.  Of that, I want to back date it to AH 545 WQ-Z (a -5), that which found the Bismarck.  But I will see what I can see.

Thank you everyone!

Sincerely,

Mark

Exceptional scratch build work and attention to detail, very inspirational. :thumbsup:

I have one of these in my future so I'll book mark this thread.

cheers,

Barry

Wow Mark!

Great to see you back in the groove, even if I'm a little late to the party. I just happened to be browsing and came across your thread. I somehow doubt you'll ruin anything with the addition of paint in fact you'll bring the whole thing to life!

Awesomeness by Dr. Mark!

Cheers,

Wolf

You all give me great credit.  Thank you, Brothers.

It was a challenging exercise at times.  There were many repetitive sub-assemblies: Roll-Off Racks, 50 Cal's, Mufflers, Rockets, boxes, 20mm ammo containers..  Especially those Roll-Off Racks.  I kept finding new details.  Then the addition of to find out if I could make the mechanism operational, I thought I'd never finish them.  I mean, How many times does one make/do the same thing over again?  I guess the answer is 4.  Then there is everything else.  That Mast.  Whew!

This kit has an oddness about itself, to me.  I've built Italeri armor in the past and the plastic and Engineering has been good.  Not Tamiya or Hasegawa good, but better than what I consider to be in this box.  This plastic and detailing reminds me of when I was working on the Trumpeter/Hobbycraft 1/32 F4U-1D.  Plastic and detailing a bit soft and detailing a bit inconsistent throughout.  I thought Italeri could have done a more consistent/better job of it.  Just my take.

Anyway, Thank you one and all.  I appreciate you looking and liking.  Especially since this build is out of the ordinary.

Sincerely,

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

I did a bit of follow-up work on the boat.

DSCN6217_zpsupndlu5c.jpg

Filled in the muffler mounting locations.

DSCN6219_zpscq2dh4x5.jpg

Put in return flanges for a better mounting condition.  Added fasteners.

DSCN6218_zps0yq28jbq.jpg

Installed propeller shaft supports, fared them in, and replaced the fasteners.

Thank you for looking and liking.

Sincerely,

Mark