Tamiya 1/32 Early P-51D "Lou IV" finished 07-09-15

MustangManiac

Hello everyone,

I agree Harv.

As I promised here's the beginning of my masking task at hand. I worked on it until about 2:00 this morning and figured I'd better get some sleep.

IMG_20150429_021542_997_zpsm27cfvm7.jpg

IMG_20150429_021516_752_zps2yddigqm.jpg

IMG_20150429_021857_485_zpsr5uqpqdg.jpg

I didn't get the two tiny pieces close to the leading edge of the vertical on there yet but they're minor pieces. Enjoy the pictures until I can give you some more.

Cheers,

Brady

Looks good Brady.

Be sure to cover the cut lines on the mask where you're not painting just to make sure there is no bleed. The masks are grouped together more to help with placement than anything else. I see a little registration issue with the star and the C.

You got that thing laid out nice. I'm impressed. 

Hi everyone,

I got some more progress in before work today, not a lot but not bad for trying to concentrate and watch a 3 year old with her swinging on one arm at times...lol.

Thanks for the complements guys on my progress so far.

Randy, yes the place where I got messed up a little was around the fuselage star and bar and making that mate with the panel lines where it was supposed to and keeping it aligned with the trailing edge of the rudder and the "C". I thought the tail's vertical and rudder turned out great as far as my locating the masks so that's what I was trying to go by, because that part even looked good on the leading edge of the horizontals. The "C" seems to be parallel with the vertical panel line that's there, so I'm not sure if there's much to do other than cover that spot with Tamiya tape, unless I run into a glitch I haven't seen yet when I put the D-day stripes on.

IMG_20150429_131238_437_zpsezeumdgi.jpg

IMG_20150429_131325_206_zpsbcs8wc6c.jpg

This is what I got done today before work. I will take suggestions on the bottom area of the circle around the star where the upraised part of the wing holds the mask away from the surface as to exactly what the best method would be to mask here. You can see this in my pictures, I just can't remember the exact title for that part of the wing or if it was just a cover for the control surface arms. This is one area I always hated fighting with decals to lay down on a P-51D/K. 

In the future Randy would a cutout in this area be better and maybe even more location friendly for this one insignia too? I don't think there is this problem on the lower wing if I recall correctly without the model in front of me.

Overall I don't think I've done too bad so far for a first-timer with masks. Like I told Randy on the phone, if I do well enough to please myself with these masks I'm most likely going to give this model to a family friend who is pushing 94 and is a WWII Veteran and retired police officer.

Cheers,

Brady

Hello everyone,

I'm back with some more progress on placing the paint masks. I got the starboard side completed today before work, except for the D-day stripes along the bottom but I got them on the other side.

IMG_20150501_103742_988_zpspskfhwpb.jpg

IMG_20150501_103427_620_zpsgqhwxxiu.jpg

IMG_20150501_103454_360_zpskdvfirps.jpg

IMG_20150501_103534_261_zpsf83vjga9.jpg

That's where we are for now. This side did go together a lot easier after learning from where I made some mistakes on the port side. Enjoy the pictures!

Cheers,

Brady

Hello everyone,

Thanks for all the complements and encouragement.

I've got some more painting done last night staying up late to prepare myself to change my sleep habits to go to 3rd shift for work.

I painted the rest of all the insignias with the blue surrounding.

IMG_20150503_200913_037_zpskkyfbvim.jpg

IMG_20150503_200356_114_zpszjhvaczv.jpg

IMG_20150503_200324_140_zpswj91l9ha.jpg

IMG_20150503_200258_509_zpsyalux9sz.jpg

I've gotta say once I got the hang of where things needed to go Randy no it hasn't been as scary as I originally thought it may be. I'm anxious to see my end results, but I have to be patient to paint it all before removing the masks.

Enjoy!

Brady