50/50 1:48 B-17

LSP_K2

This is an idea that I've been kicking around for ages, a 1:48 B-17 50/50 cutaway. The idea here is to paint one half (along the fuselage vertical centerline) OD over grey, with markings of one squadron, with the other half in a natural metal scheme from another squadron, and cutaways on both sides showing internal areas.

I don't believe there's a prayer in heck that I could ever get this finished in time for Omaha, but (thinking rather optimistically) I'm hoping it will be done for Tennessee in 2019.

68-17%20006_zpsxo7s7xg0.jpg

With this new pile of Fortress AM that I just received, plus all of the True Details interior parts I already have here, as well as buying some more stuff, it should get very interesting indeed, at least to me.

I fully expect this to be a lengthy and drawn out affair, so don't expect much in the way of regular updates from me after I get started on it.

61%20doors%20002_zpsq2cltxp3.jpg

Great idea.  I'm considering similar for a 1:48 B-24, although both will be 43rd BG in NMF.  The port side will be Cocktail Hour, but I haven't decided between The Dragon and his Tail or Mabel's Labels for the starboard.

Watching ...

Great idea.  I'm considering similar for a 1:48 B-24, although both will be 43rd BG in NMF.  The port side will be Cocktail Hour, but I haven't decided between The Dragon and his Tail or Mabel's Labels for the starboard.

Watching ...

It's one way to get a lot more mileage from a single kit. Mounted on a turntable of some sort, I can just flip it from time to time, for essentially two different B-17's from the same model.

Neat!

I think so too, Brian. The receipt of all that cool AM is what finally set this one in motion. My biggest problem now (and it is a problem), is trying to determine if I want it on the ground, or in the air. Both options offer advantages.

ambitious but I like it :)

Not as ambitious as you might initially think, Shawn, just basically a bunch of AM stuffed into it.

Quite some time back, I snatched a copy of this book, "just in case". The real problem here is: 1. I can't paint figures with a darn 2. Figures would throw the model into the diorama category, which I really don't want. Still, better to be prepared, I guess.

ABC_zps9xui5dvx.jpg

This is a bit more difficult than I had first imagined. Many of the really cool natural metal -17's were of a later design, with different waist guns and tail stingers, however I did find one that may be a possibility for the starboard side. I'll keep digging though, as I have quite a lot of Fortress references.

Possible%204_zpsrqkytorc.jpg