1/32 Cavalier Turbo Mustang conversion

oppenheimer

Hello everyone, i decided to come back to the forum and try to picture a new WIP for this ugly but good looking airplane.

This is what i am after, i will finish it as in the picture, bare metal. This was the one and only prototype built before they came out with a kind of SEA scheme, that i dont like by the way, and i dont want to do a WHAT IF airplane.

tm3copy_zpsp6stizuq.jpg

I am using Tamiya's P-51D and the only resin kit available in the market for a 1/32 scale from RESIN 2 DETAIL.

_MG_1870_zpsnbpfcjrd.jpg

I am going to talk about the conversion set, there is no need to talk about the model itself, because we already know the quality of tamiyas models.

this is what you get inside the box, plenty of pieces in white resin

_MG_1867_zpsrjmmdbnl.jpg

the detail in the pieces is good, some pieces came twisted, but nothing that some hot water can take care of. The nose section is a huge chunck or resin, very heavy, i will need to drill the center of it to remove some resin to lightened the nose section, te detail in the nose is basic as just panel lines, i will need to improve some of the details by adding some fasteners and some PE clamps for the engine cowling doors.

One important thing is that the resin kit comes without any instructions at all, so you have to figure it out where to cut the model pieces , this guys promised a PDF file with instructions, but so far nothing, so i will have to use common sence on this build.

Here you see in black what needs to be removed from the original pieces in order to make room for the new ones

_MG_1869_zps2bfrk4ss.jpg

So lets start, as always , we start with the cockpit, the rear fuselage fuel tank needs to go away and make room for the new radio compartment 

_MG_1868_zpsarf8uilk.jpg

here it is 

_MG_1871_zpshtay0pjw.jpg

Edited by oppenheimer

Jorge,

Welcome back to the forum, I'm glad you decided it was time once again.  :hi: 

I'll be following along with great interest, since I knew next to nothing about this aircraft (just googled it), and it looks like quite a major conversion that only the very skilled like you, should even contemplate. 

Joel

I have this set already sitting for 2 months in a drawer waiting for someone to be the guinea pig of this conversion, but looks like no one want to be, so here i am taking my chances  :coolio:

I've been waiting for exactly that. 

Good thing you've started yours. Watching with interest! Good luck :D