Adolf Galland 109E question

BiggTim

Well,

I've seen pictures with the central cannon installed i.e his E White 13, and other pics of White 13 with the spinner cannon hole covered.  I think you can grab a pic that you like and go with that aircraft.

Look here for a pic of the cannon hole covered over.

Chris

That is the picture of Bruno Hegenauers Bf 109, member of JG26 Stabschwarm.. No wing camera and spiner is white with green tip, AG Emil had yellow spiner and wing camera, and yes spiner had a cap not hole for the gun.

Tim, can you get a Werk No. from one of the pics?

I can't seem to see the WN in the images I have, but the Trumpy E-4 box art depicts it with a solid spinner. I have some othwr artwork that shows it with an open one. I'll try to locate some photos.

This is the one. https://goo.gl/images/RCy28B

It looks to me like the spinner is flat, but I know better than to trust a painting.

Also, the same plane is depicted on the cover of the squadron 109E book with a hole in the spinner. Again, I don't trust it.

Edited by BiggTim

...and no 109E had a centerline gun/cannon .

Actually the E-2 Had the wing 20mm FF's plus a 20mm firing through the spinner ... as well as the cowl MG's.

It was notoriously unreliable though (the engine mounted gun), and thats why production was halted in favour of the E-1's and E-3's

Rog :)

Actually the E-2 Had the wing 20mm FF's plus a 20mm firing through the spinner ... as well as the cowl MG's.

It was notoriously unreliable though (the engine mounted gun), and thats why production was halted in favour of the E-1's and E-3's

Rog :)

Do have evidence any of these actually flew in combat?

I have records of every German a/c shot down over Britain and no 109s - where armament was recorded - had a cannon firing through the hub.

Still very suspicious!

Still very suspicious!

Indeed. However, I seem to recall reading an article that said AG might have replaced a damaged solid spinner with a holed one at some point in the life of the a/c, but can't recall the source now. I certainly would like to see a photo of it to confirm. Where's Martin and his amazing library of photos?

Edited by BiggTim

His E4's had the cap, however, note that there are two types of caps.  One "factory" looking one that is more pointed, and one "field applied" looking one that is more blunt.  I would suggest picking up the Dragon E4 kit for a Galland 109E4 if you can, as it gives you both types of caps (and looks 100 times better IMHO).