Yak-3 Special Hobby 1/32

DirkE

Started a new project, that I had in mind for some time. In short: A Yak-3 1/32 with a scratch built engine. Since there is no Klimov VK-105 engine in 1/32 on the market and not wanting to use an Allison or Merlin, I choose the challenging way. :-)

In getting this done, I use the 1/48 Klimov engine from the Zvedva kit as a template/master. Progress hasn´t got very far. Working on the engine block.

For the cockpit I got the ip from Yahu. Fantastic details. I am still waiting for some PE sets for the interior and the flaps (not sure if I display them open). Additionally I ordered some new decals from Begemot.

Dirk

**************Since Photobucket changed theire "Terms of Service" and my photos can´t be seen, I deleted those in this thread and added them again further down using another uploading service!***************

Edited by DirkE

Nice- will be following. Im really interested to see how the kit goes together as Ive been thinking about buying one.

Just used a Yahu IP on a Spitfire V- incredible detail- beats Eduard hands down. Hopefully they will keep increasing their range to cover more 1/32 aircraft, like Fw190's, Ju88's/87's etc

Man those Yahu IPs are incredible!!!   I really need to acquire some.........

*EDIT*   Danm this hobby..............Just dropped $80 in Yahu IPs.    Looking forward to some progress!   This is a great looking kit up close. 

Edited by Out2gtcha

Man those Yahu IPs are incredible!!!   I really need to acquire some.........

*EDIT*   Danm this hobby..............Just dropped $80 in Yahu IPs.    Looking forward to some progress!   This is a great looking kit up close. 

You wont regret it, mate. Takes the detail to a whole new level. Only improvement I can think of would be some drops of Kristal Klear in the dials to represent lenses, but as you can see, they literally have readable (through a magnifier) numbers on the dials.

You wont regret it, mate. Takes the detail to a whole new level. Only improvement I can think of would be some drops of Kristal Klear in the dials to represent lenses, but as you can see, they literally have readable (through a magnifier) numbers on the dials.

Looking at them up close is even more incredible.

I found a hobby shop here in the US that had all 8 IPs I wanted, including IPs for the Do-335, F4U, Tempest V, Tempest II, Mossie, Me-109G, P-51D and of course, seeing this thread, the SH Yak-3.

Sorry for the hi-jack brother.........

Now back to your regularly scheduled Yak build!

Edited by Out2gtcha

Brian, it's ok. It's the first time I use those Yahu ip. I also thought about Krystal Klear. I don't want to ruin it with trying. Maybe someone else tried it before. I have the pe parts now. I will post an update this weekend..

Brian, it's ok. It's the first time I use those Yahu ip. I also thought about Krystal Klear. I don't want to ruin it with trying. Maybe someone else tried it before. I have the pe parts now. I will post an update this weekend..

Having never used them before I cant say, but I have had good luck with a drop of Future in each dial when using Eduard IPs, so im hoping for similar in the Yahu IPs. 

• 2 weeks later...

next steps..the cockpit. Added some PE parts from the Eduard PE interior set. Not quite satisfied with the overall results. Added a photo of the orginal radio. About the wiring of that radio...Idk. its speculation on my side.

++++++++++++see photos further down+++++++++++++++

Dirk

Edited by DirkE

• 2 weeks later...

more progress on this kit. finished the PE flaps and dry fitted them into the wings. Cockpit is ready for some additional details and the fuselage gets now more attention. For the engine, I need to cut away the cowling. How much it will be, ie how much will been seen from the engine is still not clear.

***********photos are further down on this thread***********

Dirk

Edited by DirkE