Nap time Academy 1/35 MH-60S

Wrlss911Pro

Dude, awesome work. I constantly get requests to take things out to the shed so I can fix them with superglue ... but having girls, there are no dump trucks, but an assortment of fairy mushrooms, Elsa and Anna from Frozen, etc ...

Cheers

Jim

Thank you sir! There is nothing like the face of child with a newly fixed toy.

Thanks Kev, Thanks Oliver.

No real updates this week.  Between work, some external personal issues and fighting bronchitis, no real work has been completed on the nap time MH-60S.

I did figure out that the whole nose is a bit cocked to the left leading to the poor fit of the canopy, so some steam work is on tap for tomorrow. If that does not work. I think some surgery to fore end will be in order. I think I can razor saw a line perpendicular to the center line and insert some styrene spacers along with some putty. A little sandpaper and some elbow grease and I should be good to go.

I am really disapointed with the fit on this kit.  I am hoping that I just got a bad one, but between the poor instructions and the fit, It is frustrating.  Thankfully I built the DAP before, so I am familiar with the basics.

Oh and I have been working on a support vehicle.  I did some major modifications and repairs last night. I am really proud of the weathering.

F60AB04F-4CA8-469E-B974-26E8D74C77B3_zps

Some needed repairs...

2D1B61A7-F00F-49AB-A661-38F0AB2A55E5_zps

Adding structural reinforcments for accuracy :wicked:

C64A50A6-3334-4509-9598-079F2BD29166_zps

Ready for the flight deck!

2B2E712E-F173-44C2-A33E-E50EB1A1DCF1_zps

My assistant. He is reponsible for the weathering on the support vehicle.  He really sank his teeth into it!

Seriously, this little dumptruck is just about my two year old son's favorite toy. His grandmother brought me the pieces last night after he overcame my last repair job. So instead of going to bed early to rest like I planned, I went to the basement and rebuilt it for him.

Totally worth it.

As long as I can repair this and his other toys, I will. The one observation I have, is that I would not have the skills to repair it without modeling. Since this is essentially scratchbuilding, it helps with my modeling. As a project manager, it helps me decompose tasks into steps, which is good practice for work. Not to forget the the stress management I get from building.

@Oliver, I understand that you are an art director for a career, do you get the same set of benefits, where one arena helps in the other?

i am not an art director, I am an assistant propmaster on the TV show Code Black for CBS. 

Helo looks great BTW!

Thank you sir.

I am still fighting with the canopy fit, as you can see.  To even get close I am grafting on plastic stock as a mount point for the canopy. As it is, I think I am going to have to pick up another kit for spare parts.  I tried dealing with Academy directly, but the process is so painful I just gave up.

95FD7125-EFDE-40F5-8597-F343B159B69A_zps

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

So I finally got some tie to work on the Nap Time MH-60S.

All The fuselage photo etch is complete and I am now starting paint. I have decided that the canopy is more trouble than it is worth, so I am going to pick up a donor kit for replacement a new canopy and some other bits and bobs.

C7C78CCC-A8EC-49B7-9146-5283DF9223C5_zps

The bad canopy

D9D1F896-792A-43B5-8DC5-3ADEEC1FFBF9_zps

With all the Photo etch in place

9202EF46-55FE-4B46-82BA-CA9363F55C0B_zps

Pre shading has started!

1620BE39-A68F-4160-96DB-42CB3F94C75C_zps

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking at mine today thats why I asked. I would have done the same you did.

I did not go back and strip it down, but when you start your prep for paint, I would use a toothbrush with soapy water and then prime before paint. 

This is a fantastic piece of resin, maybe the best I have worked with, but the release agent really sticks to the part. That plus the difficulty working with metallic paints to begin with makes me recommend a toothbrush and primer.  I am looking forward to seeing  your approach.

• 3 weeks later...

I found some folding hinges for the rotors on Shapeways.  I have a second kit coming in, so I am going to play with folded and unfolded configurations.

Here are the pictures of the hinges and links to some printed wheels.

AF927253-B029-4D8D-B48C-3238F0715B6F_zps

25B7531F-804B-411F-A1B2-778500657AD2_zps

I have not glued the rotor hinges into final position.  I still need to do some research. I may try a mid-fold position.

Here are the weighted

https://www.shapeways.com/product/QDDLTGCNG/1-35-uh-60-wheels-tires-weighted?li=search-results-1&optionId=57689918

and unweighted

https://www.shapeways.com/product/CN2424JSU/1-35-uh-60-wheels-tires-unweighted?li=search-results-1&optionId=57690539

wheel links.