New resin fillet tail for new Revell P-51D!

1to1scale

Reading the description, seller is offering the kit built and painted. Taking a chance that its worth the price, I guess.

I have a customer who once bought heavily into built models off Ebay. He brought me over a box full of busted up twisted messes of airplane models he'd bought from builders in Europe and China. Some were great. the rest mediocre. He paid me to repair them.  The builders can build. But they don't know Jack Squat about shipping.

... it's clear that they intend to release a late version in the future.

Yeah, in a couple years. Maybe. The parent company Hobbico restructuring might play a role in that.

And then there's Revell's history of reverting back to their original, largely-unwanted version after just one release of the standard, normal, most-produced, most-desired variant (Ar 196, Ju 88, He 111, etc.). So, we potentially have that to look forward to as well. 

Besides, all of their teasers showed us a late, standard, normal P-51Ds prior to them dropping the D-5 bomb on us at the last minute. Everyone that watched in eager anticipation of possibly getting the penultimate P-51D kit from which literally thousands of schemes were possible went  :doh: in utter disbelief. 

Anyway, here we have some more fun with a DFF on a P-51D-5:

1G%20-%20E2-S.jpg

Significance:

That P-51D-5 was photographed on July 26, 1944, thus providing evidence that filleted D-5s were already in combat service prior to that date, and therefore prior to the earliest date (August 14, 1944) on the TOs pertaining to fillets that have surfaced so far. 

D

Edited by D Bellis

Yeah, in a couple years. Maybe. The parent company Hobbico restructuring might play a role in that.

And then there's Revell's history of reverting back to their original, largely-unwanted version after just one release of the standard, normal, most-produced, most-desired variant (Ar 196, Ju 88, He 111, etc.). So, we potentially have that to look forward to as well. 

Besides, all of their teasers showed us a late, standard, normal P-51Ds prior to them dropping the D-5 bomb on us at the last minute. Everyone that watched in eager anticipation of possibly getting the penultimate P-51D kit from which literally thousands of schemes were possible went  :doh: in utter disbelief. 

Anyway, here we have some more fun with a DFF on a P-51D-5:

1G%20-%20E2-S.jpg

Significance:

That P-51D-5 was photographed on July 26, 1944, thus providing evidence that filleted D-5s were already in combat service prior to that date, and therefore prior to the earliest date (August 14, 1944) on the TOs pertaining to fillets that have surfaced so far. 

D

I don't know much about this - no invasion stripes?

Richard

I must be the odd man out, as in I must be the only guy alive who is glad we finally gut a decent early tailed D without having to go through the whole Tamiya build.

ditto, plus one.  Sometimes dreams finally do come true.  Perfect example here.

I don't know much about this - no invasion stripes?

Invasion stripes were ordered to be removed from upper surfaces in late June of '44. Some units painted over them, others literally removed them. Later in '44, only the stripes under the aft fuselage were required until they were omitted altogether in early '45. 

HTH,

D

Invasion stripes were ordered to be removed from upper surfaces in late June of '44. Some units painted over them, others literally removed them. Later in '44, only the stripes under the aft fuselage were required until they were omitted altogether in early '45. 

HTH,

D

Thank you, it does help

Richard

My dream will come true when somebody releases a nice P-51 Razorback.

I think a LOT of us have dreams about a beautiful new tool "B/C"!  Im hoping companies like Revell and someone higher end like Tamiya or KHM still bring us one, so like the D, we have choices of price and complexity.