Video of Russian helicopter crashing at an airshow

tertul

The Ka-50 has ejection seat and explosive nuts in the rotor. But the Mi-28, i dont know.

Anyway, on the video it's obvious that no blade was ejected. The pilot who bailed out must have feeled the flames very close...

Glad he's safe. Sad for the other pilot.

Edited by Zero77

Ouch! How do you eject from a helicopter? Your timing would have to be spot on.

They blow of the propeller first then ejects. I think its a common system with a lot of the newer russian choppers.

The Mi-28 is not equipped with blade nor crew ejection systems.

More info here:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-33754767

D

Ops, sorry I mixed it up with Kamov 50. Mi on the other side has a sick armour. Safety is provided by the energy suppression system. The ejection didn't take place. Apologies for misleading info.

Cheers

M.

Passive protection system ensures the safety of the helicopter crew members during an emergency landing with a vertical speed of 12 m / s. The values are reduced to the level of congestion physiologically tolerable. Mechanisms operate system protection installed on the cylinder main landing gear shock absorbers. With their help, made draw-down energy absorbing crew seats and handles deviation forward pitch and roll control, which eliminates the possibility of injury to the pilot. Energogasyaschie chair "Pamir-K" design bureau "Zvezda", sinking 30 cm, protect the crew against overloads occurring during the emergency landing. In an emergency, and to compel the collapsible pilots pulling the back seat harness.

more here

swooK.jpg

You can walk away from this:

"2009 June 19 - Mi-28N (board â„–43) crashed on Gorokhovetsky ranges of the Moscow Military District. When firing a gun in the hover because of the failure occurred in automation start NUR. Powder gases into the engine, causing it surging. Due to the loss of engine power the pilots decided to make an emergency landing. When you touch the ground left landing gear hit the pit, the helicopter rolled over to the left side, with the result that were destroyed by the main rotor and tail boom. The crew was not injured, both pilots managed to get out of the emergency helicopter."

YCttk.jpgqvmmI.jpg

Guest Clunkmeister

So I take it BOTH crew died? Or did one live?  I never saw a chute...

That helo had a really good descent rate there, and despite it hitting upright, I'd be really surprised if anyone got out.

Edited by Clunkmeister

Guest Peterpools

Always terrible news to see any aircraft go down with loss of life. Hopefully one crew member survived.

Peter