Hasegawa Me 262 Aufklärer Ia

Alain Gadbois

Hi guys!

Thank you for all your comments!

I am glad you are enjoying this build!

A little update on the seat today.

I added the handles and the foot rests.

The trick here was to get 2 identical handles with a very specific shape.

I sculpted the end of a small wooden dowel to get the inner profile of the handles by looking at the drawings in the He 162 Monogram Close-Up.

The I took a .75mm rod and pressed it around the wooden part and attached the ends with wire and a drop of ultra thin glue.

OQvT2wu.jpg

I glued the ends to maintain the shape as I decided to heat the styrene with a heat gun. This heating insures the parts keep their shape and not bend back somewhat.

I had to pull on the styrene with pliers a bit to keep the tension as the plastic was heated.

oaQB0eP.jpg

Then both pieces were placed over the dowel and cut together to make 2 identical parts.

4wiL4vv.jpg

Here is the seat, with the foot rests added too. Nothing too special for those except cutting with precision to get even sides in the end.

Yg40bcu.jpg

The seat in place:

BrkvdfY.jpg

7n3qMXO.jpg

Next update the throttle levers and I will try to see how everything fits in place before painting the cockpit.

Thanks for watching!

Alain

Hi all!

Nice. Little things like that just adds up...

to take so much more time too!

But I'm happy in the end with the project.

Wow! This is such a cool build! Very interesting!!
Cheers
Alan

Thank you!

Now here with the throttles and other controls on the left console.

I decided to use wine bottle foil (the more "rigid" one, not the soft pewter) to make the 2 small levers next to the throttles. I have no idea what they are really!

scjAMTy.jpg

I cut a small square out and folded it around an old blade.

dqL2uAs.jpg

Then I cut a small strip out to create both levers at once so they will be aligned from the start,

Note the angle of the cut, so they will be in the "off" position on the console.

HdFV5i4.jpg

Now trimmed for length and slightly spread apart:

a8Vbbky.jpg

With little disks of styrene cut out with a mini punch and attached with CA, on the tip of the X-acto, ready to glue in place:

wSPx5oe.jpg

Here all the parts in place with the throttles that were simply done using styrene.

7PWa9vf.jpg

Test fitting in the fuselage. The instrument panel was a tight fit with the left side of the fuselage so I trimmed it a bit and also moved it back about 1mm after taking these photos. 

1VxDrKT.jpg

BGHebmr.jpg

Here with the canopy parts.  Checking the fit with the cockpit sides. 

I have a piece of 1/16 clear acrylic sheet that I will use to make the armored front part of the windscreen.

J49aoU7.jpg

Here is my paint sample for the cockpit. As you can see, Tamiya German Gray is just about spot on. I will lighten it however for scale effect.

gMreSLm.jpg

Still have to finish the rear of the cockpit tub and the REVI for the gun. I have recently discovered that there was a provision for 2 guns on this recon version so I wasn't too far off!

Regards,

Alain

Hello all!

Not a big update today really, but essentially I finished all the bits in order to start painting the cockpit.

Straps in pewter from wine bottles added to the rudder pedals. Please do no drink while modeling!!! 

VlzKY0Y.jpg

I finally decided to cut off the lower part of the center console and moved it a bit left as I noticed it was off center.

Z2NLOn4.jpg

All the part to get a coat of RLM 66:

lvs0Yko.jpg

The rear wall was added to the cockpit using styrene sheet and flat sections of green plastic from the kit. Little will be seen in the end.

The rectangle on the lower right part of the photo is the detail to be seen under the rear section of the canopy. It is not cut out yet.

I will glue it first under the clear section before removing the excess material.

Thanks for watching!

Alain

Edited by Alain Gadbois