Looking for some advice

vespaboy48

Ipswich? How about a nice Martlesham Heath based 356th Fighter Group P-51? Go for the new Revell Mustang and model a bit of local history.

Or maybe you prefer noisy pointy things? Any preference on subject matter?

Was building the 1/72 Defiant by Airfix in 264 sqd markings based at Martlesham in 1940 but as I said the scale is just to small!! As for noisy pointy things i'm not a lover of them.

Give me a nice prop driven plane any day!! Was lucky enough to be at Clacton a few years back when they had two Lanc's flying the one from the BBMF and the other one from Canada.....As I said to the Mrs seeing that was better than sex!!  Still think she is p$**%d with me!!

Mark 

Yes, what they said.  I've not tried the P-51, but I enjoyed their Spitfire II and had a real blast with the Ar 196A.

Agreed, it's not that far up the A12 from Ipswich and it's an Aladdin's Cave for modellers.  Just for a bit of inspiration, you could also pop into the Flixton museum on your way.

Cheers Mike,

Looking like it will be the Revell Spit11a as for getting to Hannants i would if we had a car it got written off before Xmas when the Mrs had an accident in it ( not her fault ) and yeah been to Flixton before.

What i would like to do is also build aircraft that flew from Ipswich airport during WW2 and there were a few its just a case of me doing all the research which i'm in the process of.

Cheers

Mark    

Cheers Mike,

Looking like it will be the Revell Spit11a as for getting to Hannants i would if we had a car it got written off before Xmas when the Mrs had an accident in it ( not her fault ) and yeah been to Flixton before.

What i would like to do is also build aircraft that flew from Ipswich airport during WW2 and there were a few its just a case of me doing all the research which i'm in the process of.

Cheers

Mark    

Go with your "gut" Mark.

That way you will feel more personally responsible for the outcome then if you buy something because someone else recommended it, and things don't go as planned, you will feel more confident that you have not ventured too far outside of your established skill-set.

Otherwise you can get into the dead-end track of "OK, Joe said buy this one and I am not sure what to do about thus-and-such, so where is Joe and what would he do now"?

As for 1/32 vs. 1/48th scale kits, personally I have not found a good 1/32 kit any more difficult then a "super-detailed" 1/48 scale kit.

In fact, my experience is the opposite can be true.

For example, I have a 1/48 ICM Spitfire Mk. VIII that in comparison with my Hasegawa 1/32 Spitfire Mk. Vb kit is way "over-the-top" with details not essential for the smaller scale, making it a much more tedious build then the Hase kit, which is over 90% completed as a good basic kit.

Edited by Gigant

Going with my gut its gonna be the Spit I have so many fly this way and also the P-51 that it seems the right route to go for me and thanks for the advice!!

Thats what I love about this site

Mark

Go with your "gut" Mark.

That way you will feel more personally responsible for the outcome then if you buy something because someone else recommended it, and things don't go as planned, you will feel more confident that you have not ventured too far outside of your established skill-set.

Otherwise you can get into the dead-end track of "OK, Joe said buy this one and I am not sure what to do about thus-and-such, so where is Joe and what would he do now"?

As for 1/32 vs. 1/48th scale kits, personally I have not found a good 1/32 kit any more difficult then a "super-detailed" 1/48 scale kit.

In fact, my experience is the opposite can be true.

For example, I have a 1/48 ICM Spitfire Mk. VIII that in comparison with my Hasegawa 1/32 Spitfire Mk. Vb kit is way "over-the-top" with details not essential for the smaller scale, making it a much more tedious build then the Hase kit, which is over 90% completed as a good basic kit.