1/24 Grumman F8F-1 Bearcat - Scratch Build WIP

Jim Barry

Here's progress on the Bearcat I've mentioned in my Fury Thread. Stuff is happening with this build though the Fury is still #1 on the bench for takeoff. I thought I'd delay starting this thread as pressure to work on the Fury, but then I thought I'd be so lagged with pictures I figured I better start logging the work before it's too late.  

So far I've learned a lot about CAD and 3D printing in the last few months. That's certainly a world, one I can't believe I broke into thinking that was simply something for others and honestly not that in love with more time in front of a screen (I do that at work already). My playing around though  had a few breakthroughs and before I knew it, I was hooked. So far I've designed and printed the 18 cylinders of the P&W R-2800. I did the propellers and hub, and the wheels/tires (I printed a test wheel which is not what I'll have in the end as it had some flaw in the design). And finally I've gone pretty far designing the landing gear which I hope to see it retract as the real one does.  Tons of work (twisting propeller blades in 3D and making extruded diamond  tread that embosses a torus). This post looks like it might be easy. It's not. It is fun thankfully (or I'm just not sick of it). 

Much of the rest of it will be traditional scratch build and I'll get into that as it rolls out. I think of the 3D stuff  as personal use aftermarket parts, things really I would struggle with were they handmade and parts that are, as it turns out, simply not available as aftermarket parts to my knowledge (1/24 being so rare) 

Goal is to finish by Xmas. And one final intro statement. Thanks to everyone here on the forum that encouraged and supports my work and handed out careful advice. It's super motivating and truly helps me. 

So here I am: 

FullSizeRender%2037_zpsfchim7ts.jpg

IMG_7791_zps5r0rxuuv.jpg

IMG_7841_zpsdsmdqoif.jpg

IMG_7843_zps4dpaifye.jpg

IMG_7846_zps51ccydhi.jpg

And finally the retracting gear (WIP) on youtube. Don't miss this one. It's pretty cool. 

https://youtu.be/1HiEMfWkb94

Lovely!  Bearcat has always been a favorite of mine since my father used to tell me stories about his time in the AF and Navy after WWII, and watching the P-51 pilots get super pissed off, when the Bearcat pilots would show them up.............

Will be watching fore sure 

Thanks everyone for weighing in. I'm really looking forward to this one and very happy to see the 3D stuff work out as well as it has. Highly encourage other to test it out. Fusion 360 is free for hobbyists and Shapeways' resin printing is two thumbs up from me.

Brian, Glad you like it.  I have read about the Bearcat vs Mustang story. I think it was in Louisiana. The Mustangs had no idea what hit 'em. 

Dan, Thanks.  There are a few more 3D parts to do (tail wheel and engine block maybe some cockpit details) but the rest of it will be much like you see with other scratch builds here  with formers and filler and a ton of sanding, surfacing  and paneling/scribing with my hands.  It does not appear to be that difficult. (famous last words) as it was a smooth surface with flush rivets. The Fury may be a more difficult build in that regard.

Jim,

Don't know how I missed this when you 1st posted it. All things Grummans interests me. Now a Bearcat in 1/24 scale is truly something we would rarely see. And from just the engine, wheel, and prop, this is going to be one special build.  I'm really looking forward to your next update.

Joel

Joel, I thought you'd like this.  Working on a Grumman always feels good. LSP scratch build bucket list (before I die)  has F4F and F6F on it. 

Shaka Hi, Hope to keep it interesting. Cheers. 

Mike, Love your racing Bearcat.  I have some 3-view drawing I've pulled off the Internet and Squadron's Bearcat in Action book. There is also a 530 page Erection and Maintenance manual at avialogs.com that I can pull up  if I want to see just about anything up close.   I like real pictures quite a bit and so in the end it's sort of an impression/scan  from many angles kind of thing.  I would not claim to be an accuracy freak at this stage but it is coming on as I keep on working. I'm a WIP!