RAAF CAC Sabre. Finished. Thankyou Brick!

ericg

Thanks for the comments guys.

Dan, thanks a lot for the pics. I am not sure how I will did do the baffles yet, but I am sure something will pop in my mind soon enough.

You should be able to see this one at expo this year (along with a few others of my recent builds.) you wouldn't happen to have snapped any more pics? Looking for detailed shots of the tailpipe and exhaust area, as well as clear photos of the rear of the ejection seat, and under the fuselage aft of the nose gear bay.

Eric.

Thanks Dan, Every little bit helps mate,

Some more work.

The exhaust pipe is simply way to thick and needs to be thinned down to look realistic. Not having the correct diameter pipe on hand, which would be much easier, I wanted to try and machine the inside diameter using my lathe. I had never attempted this operation before and the lathe isn't really designed for plastic but anyway, I like to push the boundaries right?

Setting up the job

2D2F6771-A2A8-4481-8317-0B17CF4EBDA3_zps

Autofeed... such a beautiful thing!

325714C0-2B53-41F3-9816-B653786CEEFC_zps

The much more realistic pipe. There are a few tiny machining marks to get rid of.

93C24FAF-ED75-40B2-B63B-285A30434CAA_zps

More work on the Aires cockpit. It needs a bit of tweaking to make it RAAF spec. I scratched a small shelf just behind the gunsight, and then mounted upon it the camera that proves (or disproves) a fighter jocks tall tales) and the small gadget that has something to do with the sidewinders.

D261B53A-8DD7-4313-926B-E398B8E0D34A_zps

I have also started work on a new lower panel, as the Aires one does not match my references. I have also placed the small rod that extrudes from the top of the panel that I am pretty sure is the park brake. Also visible in this shot is the rudder pedals that I cut from a damaged AMS pit that I had laying around.

2A5EB7E6-7DC1-4DAD-BFB5-A66F0B9258B7_zps

Edited by ericg

Great Job Eric!

They used to have a sabre in the hangar when I went through trade school at wagga, they're quite a big plane up close. It was heaps cooler than the macchis, metros and a nomad that were in there! I think it has recently been swapped for restoration, which is good, considering all it was doing was gathering dust.

Really enjoying your build mate :)

Craig

Hi Eric,

Needless to say, I am following all this with keen interest.

What's all this about fighter jocks' telling tall tales?  Never happened.  (Well, OK, once or twice maybe.  Three tops.)

The "small gadget" you refer to did indeed have something to do with Sidewinders.  As I recall, the green light at top left indicated radar lock-on and the gauge below indicated target range and Sidewinder maximum range for the current launch conditions.  I also seem to recall that the orange light at top right warned you that, when tracking the target, the launch G was such that the dear old AIM 9B would be outside its envelope, turning-wise.

I don't know whether you have this shot in your references, but this is exactly the way ol' 67's office would have looked.

http://www.netspeed.com.au/brick/images/cockpit.jpg

I was always amused by that red sign titled "Emergency Escape Instructions".  Did the designers not realise that all pilots would have committed the ejection procedure, together with all other normal and emergency procedures, to memory before they even got in the bird for the first time?  The excessive number of stencils on the outside of the bird was also a bit silly, as if a trained ground crewman would not know which panel he would have to open up to get at the bits his trade was responsible for.  

But, for all that, the Sabre was a great bird.  The legendary aviator Captain Eric (Winkle) Brown, RN, who flew more types (487) than anyone else in aviation history, said that the F-86E was his favourite jet aircraft (his favourite piston-pounder being the de Havilland Hornet).  This is what he said about it: "On the jet side I was a great admirer of the F-86 Sabre, but in particular, the Model E (F-86E) which had the flying tail, and this gave me what I call the 'perfect harmony of control'. If a pilot has this perfect harmony of control you feel you're part of the aeroplane and you're bonded with it really. You've got into it and the aeroplane welcomes you and says 'thank God you've come, you're part of me anyway' and to fly like that is a sheer delight."

Amen to that.

Check six,

Brick

Hi Brick,

Thanks for weighing in mate. It is a great privilege for me to be able to make the jet that had your name on the side of it and have you commenting on my build.

The photo that you have supplied above is my primary reference for the cockpit modifications.

A quick update before I make an appearance at work.

The gun camera periscope that I had made was a little to skinny, so off it came to be replaced by a newer, thicker one as can be seen below. I also scratched the two primary instruments from plastic card, as the Aires pit didn't quite get them right and as far as I can tell they were unique to RAAF birds.

F787E76F-41A0-4EBF-AA45-F1D91D398747_zps

Another mod that should be carried out on the model is the control surfaces, which on the kit are just engraved lines. By scribing out the join and then undercutting the join with the back of a No. 11 blade, a far more 3D representation of the control surfaces can be had. This will apply to the rudder, ailerons and elevators.

Kit on the left, modded part on the right.

7602E2F9-A682-42D6-A58F-8F7E1FB74634_zps

Thanks Whitey, corrected as below.

Some more progress and I have almost finished the cockpit. I have added considerably more parts to the instrument panel since the last update, such as the park brake (upper left side of panel), undercarriage lever, canopy clutch disengage handle and some other stuff.

c75b966c-a625-40ab-b1f4-e893274a3a2c_zps

It's a tight fit but it looks a lot busier in here now with all the mods.

00C46003-B4DB-44DD-B683-9251767D2E95_zps

I pulled out the moulds of the AIM -9B sidewinders that I scratchbuilt a couple of years ago when I made a few things for the Revell Mirage and cast myself a couple. These are made from 10 pieces and should look pretty cool under the jet. Still working out whether to do them as live missiles or inerts, as Brick didn't carry live missiles on this particular serial number jet. Theoretically it would be a correct loadout with live winders, but technically incorrect I guess. What do you guys reckon?

944A925E-BCD0-4318-A013-611F838D340D_zps