1/48 Dragon Ju 88 G-6

Pastor John

Hi all,

Well I have not built a model for myself in about 5 years and I thought it was about time I carried on with this 1/48 Dragon Ju 88 G-6 which I started back then. I used my own AIMS PE interior and the Quickboost Berlin radar nose. If I remember correctly I was so cheesed off with all the filling needed that I gave up. Well sprayed some Alclad Primer over what I had filled and rubbed down today and would like to get some brake lines located and the cockpit masked off ready for my last tin of Halfords Primer. Ok now I am in Hungary and don't have a supply of Halfords Primer anymore what do people over this part of the world use?

Thanks

20150602_194425_01_zps7rrvfsop.jpg20150602_194455_zpseiesb3wf.jpg

By the way the front armour was duplicated by stretching Wiring tape over the area then using a new scalpel blade to cut away what I did not want then segmented into upper and two side pieces. Perfect thickness in 1/48 but i can't believe it has stayed in place 5 years!

By the way the front armour was duplicated by stretching Wiring tape over the area then using a new scalpel blade to cut away what I did not want then segmented into upper and two side pieces. Perfect thickness in 1/48 but i can't believe it has stayed in place 5 years!

If you're taking vinyl tape, it's awesome stuff.

Yes The black area is the frontal armour  - note to self 'what is clear to me might not be clear to others.' I might not have liked the Dragon fit but the panel lines are lovely although upon getting the thing under a coat of primer I spotted extra detail that does not exist on real aircraft - Ju 88s only have footholds on the left side of the fuselage from the A-5 on-wards, Dragon give them on both sides because they are so generous. I don't know if it will be that obvious on the computer but the other photo is trying to show the thickness of the once 'black' electrical tape. Not sure about 1/32 but in 1/48 the scale looks perfect to me.

20150603_113445_zpscwkjiejv.jpg20150603_114248_zpsypyotdsx.jpg

Edited by Pastor John

Kev its just tacked on and masked inside and out for getting primer on - the fit is good when free from all that

Cool, good to know! I always wanted one of these kits, but never got around to owning one.

Kev

Ok well I got a bit of spraying done today, pre-shading panel lines - note to self - still got steady hand so thats good but eyesight starting to go sob! - l also changed my mind and decided to model 3C+MN instead of C9+HB as I wanted a bit of colour on the spinners. 3C+MN really is a wonderful late war subject - it has everything - replacement parts, a bit of colour, some red oxide putty /filler / tape used by Luftwaffe. It was while looking again at the two photos I had of this machine that I realised it has something in common with a number of other G-6's - If you look at the upper engine cowls you see that the most obvious way to get that effect of RLM 76 is if it is sprayed over a darker colour rather than the other way around. Photos show many Jumo 213 power plants on dollies painted RLM 71 over 76 - obviously orginally destined for the Ju 188 A/D which had been cancelled by then - Spray randomly over the RLM 71 and you get a very different effect than if you mottle on top of the RLM 76. The darker colour is much denser and has harder edges. So I thought I would re-produce what I think is seen on 3C+MN. Might be wrong but that's modelling for you. - Just wish I had changed my mind earlier so I could paint the engines and rudder (which has RLM 83 or 82 over-spray) separately from the model.

20150603_183219_zpsbf1l3yzj.jpg

Edited by Pastor John

Hi all, got some RLM 76 over the 71 engine cowls last night to illustrate what I think I see on many G-6s - using as I say pre- painted Ju 188 A/D power eggs. It is a very different effect whereby you have left over dark areas rather than soft mottle as you see on wings and fuselage. Started filling in the RLM 76 between the pre-shaded panel lines, the idea once done to then over-spray with 76 the entire model to blend everything in otherwise you have a model looking like a gate guard that has not been jet washed for 5 years! 

20150604_091449_zpskzn8bgug.jpg20150604_091502_zpstuj60n4n.jpg

Edited by Pastor John