Airfix 1:24 Bf109E-3

Chris Wimmer

Nicely done.  Love that.

'. . . light hardening glue . . .'

Who makes this?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thank you, Mark! The glue I'm using is a german product, but there is a number of manufacturers out there. Just search for "uv hardening glue" and you surely will find one. The starter set is not expensive at all and contents a small UV-Beamer. 

IMG_2851_zpszgq4oiam.jpg

https://www.amazon.de/Marston-Domsel-UV-Klebeset-mit-UV-Beamer-MUV-SET-F3/dp/B00MX4C6JY

A "Chris" build! Added to this the old, but still somehow magic Airfix kit! I am in!

Hi Thomas! This old kit is magic indeed. I absolutely enjoy the build- despite its age. Would love to watch a new project of yours here! Aber natürlich freuts mich wenn du zuguckst ;)  Fürstenfeldbruck schaffe ich heuer leider zeitlich nicht aber ich melde mich die Tage bei dir...    

Looking very nice so far

Guy

Thank you, Guy! This is such a nice and accurate old kit that I hope to do it justice!

I'm in as well if you don't mind. :popcorn:

Thank you Allyby! Hope you're patient, no chance at all to hit the deadline. This baby needs a lot of love!  :coolio: 

Bf109E_JG26_WNr779_zpsnjym19kb.jpg

cheers

Chris

Small update today:

This is an early Bf109E-1 which served in the spanish civil war, currently under restoration to airworthy condition at Meier Motors company. The outer fuel filler cap is removed and I found this would be an interesting detail to show on my model:

mm1a_zpsqji0rjsy.jpg

Next I searched the web for a Bf109 fuel cap and found this. Think this could be the right one:

ww2-german-luftwaffe-fuel-filler-cap_1_f

I sandwiched four pieces of 0,5mm sheet styrene and pressed them into the fuselage curve by using a clothes peg. After curing and sanding smooth it looked like this:

IMG_2855_zpsefj3nvmp.jpg

The finished fuel cap:

IMG_2859_zps0bcp2p28.jpg

Forward fuel cap:

IMG_2860_zpspnvfg78y.jpg

Planning to join the fuselage halves tomorrow...  :)

Thank you

Chris

Thank you, Alain and Shaka Hi!

I am using my homemade punch and die set for making small parts like this. One year ago I found it could be nice to have one, but when finished this quickly became one of the most important modelling tools I ever had. :)

The fuel cap is made from evergreen strips and odd styrene pieces. Finally I rounded the surfcace by a drop of UV glue.

IMG_2865_zpsjqd50ary.jpg

IMG_2864_zpszu5zgate.jpg

Chris

Edited by Chris Wimmer