Revell Mosquito Pr Mk. XVI

b757captain

Good luck with this.  Hope you'll be doing one with D-Day stripes, even though you'll have to forego a coloured tail: D-Day stripes over PRU Blue has to be one of my favourite schemes for any aeroplane. (Or at least Mosquitoes and Spitfires.)

I like the D-day stripes too but also the red tail surfaces. The decal sheet gives and either-or option, but interestingly, the USAF museum's Mk. XVI has both. It's tail No. NS519. Perhaps the museum took artistic license (possible), or they are in possession of photos or documentation showing the red tail birds with invasion stripes (equally possible). I'm still debating and researching.

Guest Peterpools

Hi Mark

Excellent choice for the GB and will be following with keen interest, as I have been building the Tamiya offering since May and haven't even hit the painting stages yet.

Keep 'em coming

Peter :popcorn:

Edited by Peterpools

Mark, I'm very curious of the two stage Merlin conversion......I am watching with interest to see how this goes, if well, I am on to another new project.....

Jeff

I'll be following this one too. I find the two-stage Merlin Mosquitos particularly appealing. They look great in PR colours and US markings too. Curious to see what you will choose for markings.

I'll be cutting plastic soon to fit the nacelles so stay tuned.

Guys, sorry I've been off to a slow start - we've had good weather for the last few days here and I have to take advantage of it - doing sailboat repairs. One of the two big holes in the port side gets fiberglass today while I've got 70 degree temps, plus tons of other big and little jobs have kept me hopping. In addition to glass work I'm going to try to revive the engine today. For the last few days I've been worn out by sundown. Tomorrow high only 60 so I can ease off a little and maybe have the energy for some modelling!

Mark

I like the D-day stripes too but also the red tail surfaces. The decal sheet gives and either-or option, but interestingly, the USAF museum's Mk. XVI has both. It's tail No. NS519. Perhaps the museum took artistic license (possible), or they are in possession of photos or documentation showing the red tail birds with invasion stripes (equally possible). I'm still debating and researching.

IIRC the red tails were applied in August 1944, when full striping had (should have!) already been removed.  But of course, any evidence of what was overrides what should have been ...

• 3 months later...

Hi guys,

I've been a victim of the weather! But not in the way you'd think - we've had probably the warmest "winter" here since I've been here and I've taken advantage of that to concentrate on sailboat repairs. Unfortunately work on the Mossie has suffered. It is still sitting on the work bench but I have gotten some work done on it here and there. I also misplaced the SD card that had WIP photos on it and just recently found it again!

I'll take the next few posts to catch up on progress to date. First up: Building the cockpit:

NNeszKf.jpg

The Proflimodeler PE cockpit covers most of the various Mossie cockpits so there are lots of parts not used. The frets are packed really tight and the diagrams showing parts locations are somewhat vague, but the instructions are pretty good. I decided to pick and choose which parts would enhance the cockpit without having to ditch the kit parts.

I combined the instrument panel from the Eduard set with the console from PM:

meLWslf.jpg

5ECkct4.jpg

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by b757captain

Nice Mark. How do you like the Profi stuff, say compared to Eduard ?.........Harv

The Profi brass is a little thinner so it can be easier to work with, but also harder, depending on what you're doing. I don't like PE to begin with but I like it a little better than Eduard.

Onward with the catch-up phase - seats done with a little PE added (there was not much available to dress up the pilot's seat, most of it is on the backside) and seat belts added:

rnz5voq.jpg

At this point, after a lot of test fitting, the cockpit needed to be secured to the fuselage before I could add the remaining items:

WvRW2Sp.jpg

I had to build the radio box then ad a combination of Eduard and Profi PE:

gJSZrV9.jpg

Then the instrument panel console, and remaining items for the cockpit sidewalls. I didn't go overboard here, just enough to dress things up:

gWaysQS.jpg

KZ7BETP.jpg

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by b757captain