Revell Hurricanes

LSP_Kevin

Thanks, Derek. I was thinking about simply casting copies of the inner section of each upper wing, rather than trying to scratch-build them. With the lower wing, I'll have to post a photo to show the true level of butchery, but it's more significant than simply having a section removed. It's been removed, modified, put back in a different position, and the wheel bays themselves have been reshaped (though the process was never finished). I think it's recoverable, but will set me back a bit.

Kev

Thanks, Derek. I was thinking about simply casting copies of the inner section of each upper wing, rather than trying to scratch-build them. With the lower wing, I'll have to post a photo to show the true level of butchery, but it's more significant than simply having a section removed. It's been removed, modified, put back in a different position, and the wheel bays themselves have been reshaped (though the process was never finished). I think it's recoverable, but will set me back a bit.

Kev

Hi Kev,

If you can successfully cast those areas, then that would be the best option. I am confident that you will sort out the undercarriage area (you might even be able to cast this area as well!).

Derek

Hey Kev, this might help with the differences : http://hsgalleries.com/hurricanedt_1.htm

p.s. both the PCM Hurricanes have Watts props in them if you can

scrounge one up locally.

Thanks, Mike. Ron has a spare one if I end up needing it, so I should be good I reckon. The wings seem to be my main challenge at the moment.

Kev

I just thought I'd finally add some more photos to this thread! Here's the butchered wing I mentioned earlier:

UG8eI8.jpg

5ri9NB.jpg

The job isn't badly done, but a little unfinished. I haven't done any work to assess how the Warbirds wheel bay fits against this, so that will probably be my next step. Or, I might just save that for the prototype build. Not really sure, yet, but I'll at least check it for fit against this poor wing.

Kev

I forgot about that,  as far as I know that's Dan's work on the lower wing to correct it?

I believe this is what he was trying to accomplish before this was released?

Let me know if you need that prop. 

Ron

Thanks, Ron - will do, Just a bit to work out before I'll know for sure.

That GMF set is the old Warbirds one, which is what I have two of for this project. Problem is, I don't know for sure if either of them is actually complete. Once I've nudged the P-39 off the bench, I'll be able to get stuck in to these two for real.

Kev

• 3 weeks later...

Well, sanding continues on the upper wing parts of the Tuck build, but man, I'd forgotten how hard this ancient Revell plastic is! It rescribes better than some of the soft modern stuff, though.

I have, however, already encountered my first major setback. In dragging the wing parts out to determine what's what, I discovered that I don't in fact have 2 complete sets. I'm missing a set of upper halves. Only I'd be stupid enough to start a build thread about two Hurricanes, without actually having two Hurricanes! To further complicate matters, one of the lower wings has been somewhat butchered in an attempt to fix the wheel bays, and is a bit of a mess. So for now, I think I'll just focus on the metal wing build until a solution reveals itself to me. I think the lower wing is fixable with sufficient putty and elbow grease, and a potential solution for the missing wings is to simply cast copies of the inner portions of the other set of upper parts, since I'll be discarding most of the wings anyway (if that makes sense).

Ah, who doesn't like a challenge, eh?

Kev

I just found the remains of two un-started Revell kits; Wings and fuselage. So if you want a bit less of a challenge then they are yours for cost of postage from US to Australia. PM to discuss.

Rick

P.S. Mailed out your wings yesterday (Saturday). Have fun always.

Rick

Edited by Rick Griewski

• 4 months later...

Well, it looks like I won't even get a chance to start these, let alone finish them. When I entered them into this Group Build, I couldn't foresee the life events that have since overtaken things for me, and sadly, these two Hurricanes have been caught in the backwash. I still intend to build them however, so I'll transfer this thread over to the WiP forum at the conclusion of the GB.

Sorry folks!

Kev