Revell Hurricanes

LSP_Kevin

Thanks for the link to your build thread, Den. What a blast from the past! And what a brilliant build it was. I hope my two (3, really) turn out as nicely. Did the 2-blade Watts prop come from GMF? I'm on the lookout for one for my Hurricane prototype build (and I might need one here, too).

Kev

It looks like the GMF Watts two-bladed prop to me Kev (another one of my efforts I'm afraid!).

Derek

Thanks Max, great story. Which book is that? Seems like a great read.

It's called "They gave me a hurricane" written by Charles 'Tich' Palliser DFC AE. It is a good read, though the author's writing style is sometimes rather irritating and cries out for a good editor!

Max

Yeah, boys, definitely too much on the bench now! It has got me excited about modelling again for the first time in ages, so I've actually started to push on with the P-39 now. I need to get it into the it's all downhill from here position, and then I can really get stuck in to Operation Hurricane. And that damned Corsair...

Kev

Well, sanding continues on the upper wing parts of the Tuck build, but man, I'd forgotten how hard this ancient Revell plastic is! It rescribes better than some of the soft modern stuff, though.

I have, however, already encountered my first major setback. In dragging the wing parts out to determine what's what, I discovered that I don't in fact have 2 complete sets. I'm missing a set of upper halves. Only I'd be stupid enough to start a build thread about two Hurricanes, without actually having two Hurricanes! To further complicate matters, one of the lower wings has been somewhat butchered in an attempt to fix the wheel bays, and is a bit of a mess. So for now, I think I'll just focus on the metal wing build until a solution reveals itself to me. I think the lower wing is fixable with sufficient putty and elbow grease, and a potential solution for the missing wings is to simply cast copies of the inner portions of the other set of upper parts, since I'll be discarding most of the wings anyway (if that makes sense).

Ah, who doesn't like a challenge, eh?

Kev

Hi Kev,

Hopefully, someone will help you out with a replacement set of wings, however, all is not lost if not.

The 'butchered undercarriage bay' is, I assume, the integral moulded kit wheel wells being cut out? The GMF resin replacement undercarriage bay (as far as I remember) is basically a 'box' that fits over the internal wheel aperture area, so this should be recoverable.

As for the missing upper wings, I assume that this would be for for the fabric wing conversion? If so, it is onlythe upper inner section of the wings that are missing. There are two ways that you could possibly address this problem if you so wish. The first is bend a strip of 1mm or 1.5mm plastic card over a rounded surface to match the wing upper aerofoil shape and cut it to match the wing root and outer wing panel ajoining butt edges (adding internal supports and filler where necessary).

The other thing that you could try is to cleaverly cut sections of the removed lower outer wing panels so that a 'jigsaw' of parts can be glued together in such a manner as to form new upper wing inner sections - I would prefer to first route.

Good luck.

Derek