Revell Hurricanes

LSP_Kevin

Well, I've been torn over whether or not to enter this GB, as I really should be focussing on the P-39 and Corsair builds, and with plenty else going on, finding the time would be difficult. On the other hand, my stash is full of old relics perfectly suited to this topic. But! I have plans to heavily detail most of them, and would never be satisfied with a quick, OOB build, raised rivets and all. What to do?

I looked at and rejected a number of possibilities, before coming across this in my stash:

SHfCz7.jpg

When I opened the box, I was struck by the realisation that this was actually one of Dan's kits, bought by Ron, which he then graciously forwarded to me. This makes it the perfect choice!

In fact, it's not really a kit, so much as a box full of Hurricane parts, with enough airframe components to build 2 models, plus 2 Warbirds cockpits and a set of Warbirds ragwing conversion parts:

YRmOHd.jpg

LFM3P7.jpg

BF97Dl.jpg

BpOXlS.jpg

So, I've decided to build two Hurricanes - one ragwing Mk I and one metal wing Mk I. Yep, I'm a glutton for punishment. The fabric wing parts are a little battered, but should still be usable. They're very heavy, though!

There are 3 sets of markings in the box - 2 old kit sheets, and a Superscale sheet. All of them feature Stanford Tuck's DT•A, however, so not exactly a lot of choice there. I'm happy to use the SS sheet on one of the builds, but will obviously need to source something else for the other build.

Not being anything like a Hurricane expert, my first question is, was Stanford-Tuck's DT•A an early fabric wing machine, or did it have metal wings?

Kev

Brilliant Kev :thumbsup:

Great news that you are doing both - If I get another Venom kit, I think that I will also have a crack at the J 28B as well as the J 33 :)

(BTW, nice to see the fabric wings again that I mastered for Warbirds productions - they are heavy lumps, so make sure that they are adequately secured into the wing root so that the weight stress and loading is well spread).

Derek

(BTW, nice to see the fabric wings again that I mastered for Warbirds productions - they are heavy lumps, so make sure that they are adequately secured into the wing root so that the weight stress and loading is well spread).

Derek

You mastered those!  ok this is just getting better by the minute!  Very cool indeed!!!!!

You mastered those!  ok this is just getting better by the minute!  Very cool indeed!!!!!

Indeed it is, Ron! I had no idea they were your creations either, Derek. I think I may actually have another set somewhere, so I should check, and see if it's a little less battered. (Or, I could have dreamed the whole thing.)

Kev

Not being anything like a Hurricane expert, my first question is, was Stanford-Tuck's DT•A an early fabric wing machine, or did it have metal wings?

Kev

He flew 2 DToAs, both metal wing. First with a DH prop/spinner, second a Rotol prop/spinner.

Edited by MikeMaben

He flew 2 DToAs, both metal wing. First with a DH prop/spinner, second a Rotol prop/spinner.

Thanks, Mike! That sorts the wings out. I'm not sure what props are available to me in this box, so I'll have to do some more investigation about that. The Superscale drawings show a pointy spinner, more like what I'm used to seeing on the Mk II, but I'm not going to put much stock in that. It purports to represent Tuck's Hurricane in December 1940, but shows the split black/white tactical undersides. My research so far indicates that it should have been a black/Sky combination at that point. Presumably his aircraft are reasonably well documented by now, so it should just be a matter of finding the definitive information.

That leaves the fabric-wing version waiting for a purpose, and I'm actually toying with the idea of converting it to the all-silver prototype.

Kev

Well, I found my other set of Warbirds fabric wings, and they are indeed in better shape, but stored in a Revell/Monogram IIc boxing. So, I've made a bit of a crazy decision: I'm going to build that one alongside these two, though not as part of the Group Build. The plan is to build the two GB entries as RST's DT•A and an early- or pre-war fabric-winged machine, respectively. I plan to use the more pristine fabric wing set with the IIc kit, and convert it to the prototype. I've probably already bitten off more than I can chew, but I'm quite excited about the challenge! I'll open a thread in the WiP forum for the other build soon.

Now I just need to find a scheme I like for the fabric-wing build.

Kev

Nice choice Kev, I built one of those a few years back, I'd been looking at the kit box the I'd open the box and smartly close it again time after time over the years until one day I decided enough is enough and built it. In the end it was a very enjoyable build.

In fact looking back on the build thread on Britmodeller you were one of the first to post a reply http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/37896-revell-hawker-hurricane-mk-1/

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks for the link to your build thread, Den. What a blast from the past! And what a brilliant build it was. I hope my two (3, really) turn out as nicely. Did the 2-blade Watts prop come from GMF? I'm on the lookout for one for my Hurricane prototype build (and I might need one here, too).

Kev

Nice choice Kev, I built one of those a few years back, I'd been looking at the kit box the I'd open the box and smartly close it again time after time over the years until one day I decided enough is enough and built it. In the end it was a very enjoyable build.

In fact looking back on the build thread on Britmodeller you were one of the first to post a reply http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/37896-revell-hawker-hurricane-mk-1/

Cheers

Dennis

Great build thread Dennis :speak_cool:

Derek