Kawanishi N1K1 Kyofu Type 11 Rex

dodgem37

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you, Harv,  Hope all works out with you and your recent electrical problems.

Thank you, Bjorn.  I've decided to say the heck with it and install the IP in its' correct position and not worry about the handles.  The opening is so small everything deep will hardly be seen.  With the guns higher in elevation, and closer to the cockpit opening, I've decided to keep the guns.

Thank you, Alain.  My first scratch-built cockpit.

Thank you, K.  It's turned out to be a lot of work.  I'm ready to do something else.

Thank you, Shawn.

Thank you, Brian.

Thank you, Shaka.  Yes, from my iPhone.  It's all about the lighting.

Thank you, Troy.

Thank you, Dan.

My daughter came back from Italy and has finished her semester.  While making her plans to come home I reminded her to not forget the Coolpix.

I've been doing a little of this before that because I had to do wing, engine, and fuselage before I could do the cowling.  I found this out after I started work on the cowling.  Everything is in a rough stage.

DSCN6147_zps4famupgq.jpg

I put the wings together, removed the ailerons, and cast some wing lights.

DSCN6148_zpskrbj4lsx.jpg

Other side.

DSCN6149_zpskan8stda.jpg

I shaped and cast the gun bulge and filled the space with paint pigment.

DSCN6150_zpsikcs7nak.jpg

Other side.  I opened the float support hole to the shape of the support.

DSCN6151_zpsqwwpu4ix.jpg

Shaped the tail-bone as best I could.  At least for now.  A bit out of square, I'll fix that.

DSCN6152_zpsscp9skwy.jpg

Roughed out the engine.

DSCN6153_zpsmdx1sm3h.jpg

Bottom.  It's taken a BEATING!  Started shaping the cowling then had to stop.  There is no way around doing this before the wings and engine are complete and attached to the fuselage.  It's just the way the model is engineered.

DSCN6154_zpsmbqkxfmu.jpg

Front.  The opening is 30 mm in diameter.  To make it I wrapped sand paper around a funnel and rotated until I got my 30 mm opening, then I filed the lip to try to obtain an edge.  The front gun openings have to move forward in alignment with the back edge of the scoop opening.

DSCN6155_zpsh4tndb22.jpg

The cowling on the Rex is 46 mm deep.  The George is 35 mm deep.  I'm having to develop an extension.  Then I have to tie it into the fuselage.  There isn't a gap between the flaps and fuselage.  A tricky connection.  Interestingly enough, the cowling of the Hasegawa Jack is 46 mm deep, the same circumference as this George, and similar in shape to, hopefully, the end result.

Thank you for looking and liking.

Sincerely,

Mark

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey Mark,

Just circling back around with you to see if you might have picked up the Rex again and did anymore to it? Such a fantastic work in process so far. I'm sure there are several more of us mortals that would love to see this one finished. Truly some inspirational work going on here. Hoping 2018 might be the year!

Regards,

Troy

Resurrection from the Shelf of Doom.  Thank you Jack, Alan, Troy for your compliments and coaxing this out of retirement.  I'd lost track of this thread.  I wonder where I put the model?  I'll look for it after I finish the Mustang.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Mark, Mark Mark! Too good to simply forget about this one mate! Such an awesome effort so far. I hope you can find this one back on the bench again soon. One of my favorite efforts to witness on LSP come so far from a basic starting point. Thank you for sharing this journey with us. We can also send a bottle of Rex mojo if required? Just kindly suggesting! Ha

Troy

Alrighty, Alan.  Thank you, Troy.  Well, I said I'd look for it after the Mustang, so I guess I'd better.  I'll just move the '190 and PBY into the Idle Time Slot and move the Rex into their build place.  But I'm paintin' the PT!

Thanks for stopping by and giving me a nudge.

Sincerely,

Mark

• 4 months later...

Rex, Rex Rex.  I can hear the kit begging Mark to pick it back up and finish the watery beast of burden once and for all   Lol.  

One of my all time favorite builds.  Hope you didn’t lose it Mark?  

Just checking in to make sure it’s still with you. All for fun and good humor.  

Regards,  

Troy 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys.  It's slow going right now, I've been doing lots of sanding.

But I have done some things other than that.  I've finally got what I think to be a symmetrical fuselage (lots of filling and sanding).  I've made a wing float and scribed it.  I've made the center pylon, added extensions (lots of sanding) because it was short and so I could insert it into the fuselage and main float, and lined it in preparation for scribing.   I've built the propeller cone (lots of shape problems that required lots of interior discs) and did some panel line indications.

The cowling interior was a mess with all of the stock that was glued together to get the exterior shape, so I sanded and filled it and sanded again (lots of sanding).  It's not perfect but I'm done with it.

I've also painted the engine, not too much as it is hardly seen.  I will be molding the float, prop cone, and center pylon today and hopefully casting by the weekend, as I am then going to Rhode Island.  So although I have been doing stuff, it's all been process and preparation.

Thank you, Troy.  Thank you, Alan.  I'm working on it but it's also summer time and my modeling slows down so I can spend time outside doing projects.

Sincerely,

Mark