Kawanishi N1K1 Kyofu Type 11 Rex

dodgem37

'Looking forward seeing you throwing together this one!'

You make me laugh, Bjorn.  There aren't a lot of references on the Rex, but what little there is I think I may be able to throw something together.  It will take a plan.

'Way too many of these old kits seem to have been abandoned.'

The kit was so damned expensive it's hard not to, and, it's forever out of production.  The idea of losing an 'investment' by building it or chopping it up makes one hesitate.  It made me.  But, I bought it to build it.  So that's my plan.

'I sold mine like an idiot- now, it's out of reach.'

Lee, mine was out of reach when I bought it.  Until last year it was the most expensive kit I owned.

'Making good use of our database images too I see.'
I was lazy and didn't want to go thru the shooting and uploading process so I just copied and pasted from the database.  Luckily it was in there.

'Mine's temporarily stalled'
Bill, Keep me on my toes if there is anything I miss.

'Scratch builders conversion?'

Horizon Vac.   I'm going to cast the parts in resin.  I think many of us wish someone would do a 1/32 injection molded Rex, Rufe, . . .

Sincerely,

Mark

Awesome, FOLLOWED!   I have this EXACT kit, along with the SB Rex conversion in the stash............................I traded a long OOP Matterhorn circle ATAR 9c engine kit + some other goodies, for this mid-wing George, the SB kit, and some OOP Moskit exhausts.

The SB conversion cowl is WAY off, and quite substantially too thick, and lacks the "knife edge" type shape of the 1:1 cowl lip. I've never actually seen the Horizon vac kit. 
Really looking forward to this one Mark! 

I like all of you have always DESPERATELY wanted a 32nd IM N1K1, in the worst way. Likely the only thing Ive ever wanted more , was a 1/32nd F7F. Now THAT dream has come true, but Im still waiting for the 32nd N1K1 kit!

Model on! 

'Way too many of these old kits seem to have been abandoned.'

The kit was so damned expensive it's hard not to, and, it's forever out of production.  The idea of losing an 'investment' by building it or chopping it up makes one hesitate.  It made me.  But, I bought it to build it.  So that's my plan.

'Making good use of our database images too I see.'
I was lazy and didn't want to go thru the shooting and uploading process so I just copied and pasted from the database.  Luckily it was in there.

Sincerely,

Mark

You make a very good point there, Mark, and one that I quite frankly hadn't considered. Some of these older kits are stashed as collector or nostalgia items, and perhaps that explains why so many remain un-built.

As to the database images, we try real hard to add images when and where we can, K1 having done the majority of that work so far, AFAIK. As soon as I saw your image, I immediately checked our database to see if it was something we might be able to use.

Thank you, Bill.

While I was taking pictures of 'My Space' for that thread I took a couple of pictures of some figuring I've been doing.  Not much, as I'm also painting the Mustang.

DSCN5955_zpsidblwejv.jpg

Pencil outline of kit imposed upon a scaled drawing.  The constant is the rudder outline.  I thought I would look into modifying the kit belly to match.  Bulkhead location 1 is constant.  If not I've got to modify the belly of the fuselage connected to both wing bottoms.  Something I don't care to tackle.  The curved pencil line is an imposition of the belly curve beginning at bulkhead 1 and ending at the tailight.  Station 4: 2mm difference between kit outline and modified outline.  Station 12: A wopping 7mm difference.

DSCN5954_zpsfsprtbp4.jpg

Stuff done prior to drawing work.  It's all moot.  Once I realized that I needed to chop off the rear at Station 12 and build the tail to tie in the belly I turned to work on the drawing.  Both curved lines are the shape of the drawing belly and are the same curve.  The 2 is the 2mm from the drawing above on Bulkhead 4.  The end of that line is 7mm at Bulkhead 12.

Once I visualized removing the space between the curves one thing led to another ending with no match.  The end result of all of this figuring is that if I want the illustrated curve than I must chop the tail off at Station 12 and make a new tail, which will be a constant.  To curve the belly I must make bulkheads, then modified bulkheads to match the curve, and a keel, taking into account wall thickness.  So far I've got mock-up bulkheads for Stations 1, 4, and 9.

Sincerely,

Mark