Revell (née Matchbox) Spitfire 22- finished

BloorwestSiR

Good to see you working on another Spit Carl, though this one seems to be in a different league to the others! Good luck pal.

Max

Thanks Max! It certainly is in a different league copmared to the Tamiya ones. But until someone Congress out with a new one, it's the only choice for a 22/24.

Good luck with this one! I was going to do it too, but chickened out (I'm not so sure the 1/24 Airfix Mustang is a better choice though!). The engineering on this kit is so odd, and I think you're smart to do the wing to fuselage area the way you plan. It is a powerful looking beast compared to the early Spits.

A bit of progress last night on the build. I attached the wing spars to the centre wing section. The instructions have you do this after you attach the wings which didn't make sense.

IMG_20161102_211515.jpg

I then started cutting a recess in the lower wing for the resin rad fairings. The stock wing is on the right.

IMG_20161102_211747.jpg

Here is the rad installed in a test fit. I've used some rad faces from the Tamiya kit to add a bit of detail here.

IMG_20161102_212220.jpg

IMG_20161102_214631.jpg

Then it was time to attach the port wing.

IMG_20161102_215019.jpg

The rear spar had to be trimmed a bit in order for it to clear the rad fitting.

IMG_20161102_215019.jpg

Good luck with this one! I was going to do it too, but chickened out (I'm not so sure the 1/24 Airfix Mustang is a better choice though!). The engineering on this kit is so odd, and I think you're smart to do the wing to fuselage area the way you plan. It is a powerful looking beast compared to the early Spits.

Thanks Ray! I think the wing was done that way so they could get the correct gull wing effect. Otherwise, that and the separate wing root fillets complicate things for no good reason.

I have one in my stash, and boy i remember back in the day when we thought these kits were the Cat's Pajamas, now being spoiled with all the new tools out there, it kind of looks a bit of a club.......oh how times have changed... I will be watching this with great interest and maybe, just maybe I can find the skills to make mine into something taking in all the excellent talented skills I will see here.... god luck, I will be here watching for sure..

cheers

Jeff

Nice,

Be very mindful in fitting the wing fillets to the fuse and wing.  I would suggest fit, fit and re-fit.  IIRC on my build years ago I glued the fillets to each fuse half, then added the lower wing then both upper wing tops. But play with it, don't take that as gospel since my memory isn't always the best.  What is gospel is don't follow the instructions sequence or you'll have a real mess. 

I have one in my stash, and boy i remember back in the day when we thought these kits were the Cat's Pajamas, now being spoiled with all the new tools out there, it kind of looks a bit of a club.......oh how times have changed... I will be watching this with great interest and maybe, just maybe I can find the skills to make mine into something taking in all the excellent talented skills I will see here.... god luck, I will be here watching for sure..

cheers

Jeff

Thanks Jeff! Hopefully you'll join in with your build. I'm enjoying this group build seeing that there is so much variety in it.

Nice,

Be very mindful in fitting the wing fillets to the fuse and wing. I would suggest fit, fit and re-fit. IIRC on my build years ago I glued the fillets to each fuse half, then added the lower wing then both upper wing tops. But play with it, don't take that as gospel since my memory isn't always the best. What is gospel is don't follow the instructions sequence or you'll have a real mess.

Thanks Ron. I'm definitely going to attach the wing fillets to the fuselage first. I did that on my Seafire build and it created a much better fit.

098.jpg

You're absolutely right on the need to do a lot of test fitting.

Carl

• 2 weeks later...

OK, time to give this thread some love, er, attention.

Looking at the cockpit sidewalls, I decided to give another shot at improving their appearance a bit.

IMG_20161102_215431.jpg

I dug out the Aires sidewalls I had and made an attempt to fit them in place.

IMG_20161102_215443.jpg

Which it turns out, they weren't going to without a bunch of mods.

So while I figured that bit out, I glued the fuselage halves together. I also fitted the wing fillets in place.

IMG_20161113_213847.jpg

IMG_20161113_213857.jpg

Edited by BloorwestSiR

With the fuselage together, it was easier to figure out how much of the cockpit bits I could use. I ended up cutting off the top halves of the sidewalls and only use the lower sections along with the floor.

IMG_20161113_214017.jpg

Dry fitted together:

IMG_20161113_214139.jpg

Placed in the fuselage:

IMG_20161113_214218.jpg

The gap around the rear bulkhead frame:

IMG_20161113_214250.jpg

I'll probably fill that in after installation.