Gee Bee R-1 & R2. Why make it simple, when ...?

Hubert Boillot

• 4 weeks later...

Well after a 4-week hiatus where life and spleen got in the way of modelling (i.e. taking care of my suffering wife, and recovering from finding one of our cats drowned in the to-be-dismantled swimming pool :( ), I found some bench time again, and continued working on the innards of the Gee Bees.

To erect the frame, I built a simple foamed-board jig. It allows to have the previously-built frames standing vertically, and to set the distance between them, to insert the cross-members

mMjZW5g.jpg

xsuueaW.jpg

Starting with the lower cross members, then adding the upper ones, then the diagonal braces, you end up with this. It is not yet finished, as I am waiting for the seat-supporting frame, made of thinner rods (0.75 mm dia) to settle and dry before I add some more diagonal braces. Sorry I did not take intermediate "in-building" pics, but I'll do it for the second frame (I am building two kits simultaneously, remember ;) ? )

nVlaeDN.jpg

zl1Fxyx.jpg

deLD6Fi.jpg

etmBk6F.jpg

9AAAesi.jpg

It is not as difficulat as it seems. Apply the basic rules of modelling and especially scratchbuilding : be calm and patient, measure twice to cut once, progress one piece at a time ... et voilà !

More to come, hopefully before january ;)

Hubert

Edited by MostlyRacers

• 7 months later...

Only partly true, Martin, as some of this is week-end work, when the Dragon Rapide is "real work" ;) ...

And then, if you look at my last update, it is 7 months old ... Neither the Gee Bees nor the DR could get any time from me lastly as life got in the way in a big scale ... I barely had time to manage the daily operations of my company I could not delegate to anyone else ...

Hubert

PS  Btw, I could still see the pics of this build. Some of them are hosted on PB. Is it just the caches of my computer which have filled-in the pics, or have I been forgotten by the PB extortion plague ? Anyone see them ?

Edited by MostlyRacers

Hubert,

I have some pics on PB and they are still on the forums, I guess it depends on the amount of space one uses up

Alain

Paid Photobucket accounts aren't having their linking privileges revoked until the end of 2018, so that's probably what's happening. Mine are all still there, and I have until my renewal date of January next year to move and re-link them.

Kev

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kev,

Ready to resume work on this one, as the domestic skies are clearing up somewhat ...

Can you move it to the Works in Progress forum ? It's going to be fun to have two Huberts working simultaneously on the Williams Gee Bee kits ;) !

Hubert