Gee Bee R-1 & R2. Why make it simple, when ...?

Hubert Boillot

OK. This is just to kick-off the GB and mark my presence. I need to focus first a bit more on my on-going builds.

But I will participate, and take an opportunity to take TWO boxes out of the stash, by building simultaneously the Gee Bee R-1 and Gee Bee R-2 from Williams Bros. The kit allows to build both versions (the R-1 had a big P&W Wasp, and a large-opening cowling, the R-2 had a P&W Wasp Jr and a small opening cowling) and supplies the decals and cowlings for both.

I will use AM engines most likely. The representation of the Wasp in the kit is OK, but not great, and it is a very visible item in this diminutive aircraft. I will use a Vector Wasp. For the Wasp Jr, the kits falls really short, but this will be a great reason to complete my 3D design of the Wasp Jr, and get it printed. I also found on eBay some vac-formed canopies that will be more realistic than the kit's thick transparencies.

I have no date for the kits, but in one box, I found an ad for registering for the IPMS-USA which featured the 1981 issues of their magazine. Anyway I very well remember building this kit in the late 70s ;).

Here is the kick-off pic with both boxes. They are of different vintage. The oldest one had a box-top opening and is molded in white, whereas the youger one has a side opening and is molded in grey.

See you soon

Hubert

Edited by MostlyRacers

neat!

love the GeeBee's!

What colors you going to do?

White with red scallops and black trim lines, Shawn ;), in their 1932 guise, the only fitting color for a Gee Bee. The R-1 is "11" and the R-2 "7". There are decals for both in the kit. As usual with this scheme, the challenge will be the black trim lines ...

Hubert

Edited by MostlyRacers

Wait..an actual plastic kit?

I guess we're willing to play with the "little" people once in awhile, eh?

Shhhht! Don't tell anyone, and let's keep it our little secret just between the two of us, hey Shaka ...

After all, I have a reputation to defend :rofl:

(But my modeller buddies with whom I have diner every month are surprised when I buy a kit that is not vacform or resin ;) )

Hubert

Cool ! The 11 and the 7 at the same time !

I have one of these kits very slightly started for about 2 or 3 years. I'm glad you started it, so i can copy your work for detailing the somewhat spartan cockpit !  :evil_laugh:

According to Delmar Benjamin who built and flew a replica of the R-2, it flew very well, even banked more than 30°, or inverted, but it was an aeroplane you had to fly all the time. No hands off the controls, or it would soon try to destroy itself, and you with it. He also stated that it was a joy to fly in clear air, and a bear in bad weather, for the same reasons.

Their accidents seem to have been caused more by a series of bad luck strokes, or stupid modifications that the Granville Brothers disaproved, like lengthening the fuselage and adding an extra fuel tank that moved the CG aft. This said, Jimmy Doolittle, after his Thompson win in 1932 on the R-1, wowed never to fly a Gee Bee again, and he held to his word. I think they answer perfectly the definition of a (very) "hot ship".

Hubert

Edited by MostlyRacers

According to Delmar Benjamin who built and flew a replica of the R-2, it flew very well, even banked more than 30°, or inverted, but it was an aeroplane you had to fly all the time. No hands off the controls, or it would soon try to destroy itself, and you with it. He also stated that it was a joy to fly in clear air, and a bear in bad weather, for the same reasons.

Their accidents seem to have been caused more by a series of bad luck strokes, or stupid modifications that the Granville Brothers disaproved, like lengthening the fuselage and adding an extra fuel tank that moved the CG aft. This said, Jimmy Doolittle, after his Thompson win in 1932 on the R-1, wowed never to fly a Gee Bee again, and he held to his word. I think they answer perfectly the definition of a (very) "hot ship".

Hubert

IIRC, Delmar Benjamin did his homework on the GeeBee, and found that one of the problems of the original was the airfoil choice. He went off the reservation regarding authenticity with his replica and chose a different, better airfoil for his plane, and that made all the difference in handling.