Spitfire IIa of 1690 BDTF: finished 3 March (RIP)

mozart

Max, she looks fantastic! Go w is the up attached? Can you give some insight....Harv

OK Harv, I consulted my American - English translator and it came up with "How is the ip attached?", so working on that assumption the answer is simplicity itself!  I literally just stuck it onto the face of the forward bulkhead where the kit part would have mated.  I did think about cutting some plastic card to act as a kind of shim, but then decided to put it straight on.

DSCN9347_zpsicl6lfao.jpg

Now that is looking good, the Yahu IP's look great and cut out the fiddley job of painting the kit one, I've got one for my Revell kit as well

Cheers

Dennis

Agreed Dennis, the level and clarity of detail is wonderful:

DSCN9348_zps9aygyzwd.jpg

Max

The cockpit looks the biz Max. Very neat and tidy. The IP is very sharp and given what will be seen with the pilot aboard, the stick in front of it and the door closed it should look superb.

I'm sure the crisp, replacement resin head will overcome the shortcomings of the Aires resin pilot. I'm looking forward to seeing him all painted up.

Keep at it.

Cheers.

Thank you Mark and Peter.  I was tempted to add a lot more detail in the way of wiring, pipe runs, cockpit placards etc but in a trial fit I found that so little will be visible that I'm not going to bother.  I hesitate to post these in-progress pictures of the pilot, it's the first time I've had a real go at figure painting (I so desperately want to be good at it having studied art at college) but I'm still on a steep learning curve!  Things will get better! :)

DSCN9350_zpsshxxzl0p.jpg

DSCN9349_zpspmdpnf0s.jpg

Max

Thanks Andy and Kev. The problem is of course that whilst they look passable in real life, when enlarged to this size there's nowhere to hide. I'm enjoying learning the skills of figure painting though; the seemingly incomprehensible instructions about the application of various tints of light and shades of dark flesh become clearer even with my poor efforts.

Max

I'm keen to move on with this build so I've completed the pilot painting.  I probably could have messed around with him for a while further but with my limited skills I don't think I would have improved him much, so here he is:

DSCN9387_zpsflskj2ug.jpg

DSCN9380_zps61sqmm89.jpg

DSCN9375_zpsdzh8tgsm.jpg

DSCN9372_zpszbba6lfh.jpg

DSCN9369_zpsljnkdejz.jpg

Once he's in the cockpit I can start to think about closing the fuselage up.  Note to self: don't forget the Sutton harness extension straps! :)

Max
Edited by mozart