Some Great New Large Scale P-51 Releases at Draw Decal

r0t0rdr1ver

These decals represent warbird restorations not combat aircraft.  I hope people realize this before pulling the trigger on an aircraft they may be thinking served as marked in WWII.  The description of these does say the aircraft as pictured, is shown at the time of such-and-such an airshow at such-and-such a date.  Not knowing this, I had to look twice at Richard Peterson's "Hurry Home Honey" as the subject aircraft pictured on the sheet was a P-51D-5 and did not have a dorsal fin fillet even though it's shown as having one on the application sheet.  The key was in reading the description in finding out that the decals are for a warbird. 

For those that may be looking at these, make sure you read the description before buying or you might be putting decals on your P-51D that may or may not be representative of the contemporary item.  Also note that these decals are not silkscreen printed decals and their application processes may differ from what you're used to.  They have application instructions here: http://www.shopdrawdecal.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=2289

I have no knowledge about how these decals perform so I cannot comment on that one way or the other.

I picked up some Draw Decals for "SU SU" and the decals themselves seem very high quality to me, and are in perfect register.  IIRC, I think someone on the forums asked awhile back about quality of DD decals, and it seemed the consensus was generally good about their quality and how they go down. 

I had a fair number of sheets I'd designed in two layers (white, then everything else) test printed by DD, about four years ago.

The register was very good, the colours great, but the decals would not soften with normal decal solvents and refused to wrap around edges. The clear decal paper stock they were printed on was unusually thick which makes me wonder if DD used a heavier clear layer grade. Anyway, it scuppered my plans to have them series printed.

The paper stock etc might have changed for the better since then.

Tony

Got some 1/72 Candyman/Moose decals already on the way, and will be ordering the 1/32 set too. Looking forward to trying them out!

I'm quite pleased that there are folk out there that produce "Warbird" decals. My current project is everything that was at the first warbird airshow I went to back in 1983 (albeit in 1/72...I didn't have the room for this in 1/32!!) Just putting the finishing touched to Stephen Grey's Bearcat.....Candyman willl be next.