Dragon Bf110E

mozart

Work on the cockpit area is stalled waiting for the seatbelt to arrive from Radu, so I've moved onto the undercarriage and wheel wells.  The whole area isn't overly complicated in the number of pieces involved, but it is SO easy to get the construction wrong.....and I did but fortunately realised it in time (though there may yet be nasties lurking and smirking, who knows!)  With many bits you have to get them fitted in the right direction, and the instruction sheet isn't s great deal of help most of the time.

I found fitting this long brace to the main leg first helped my get the orientation of the "V" section right (the second time around!):

rKUaGO.jpg

The front scissor links have slightly different size locating pins.  Fitting them upside down isn't an issue but getting the right sized pin into its right hole makes life easier:

yuv0jg.jpg

Nearly finished and dry fitted, I used the wheel well as a jig to get the angles of the undercarriage bits and pieces right:

tYHkgv.jpg

fghrVh.jpg

Webs inside the wheel bay, I managed to fit 3/4s of them back to front before realising it, then swapped them over to what I hope is the correct way, but who knows??  :hmmm:  :mental:

Ob649d.jpg

I think there is still a "minor" problem though - the undercarriage assembly won't fit in with all of the webs in place!!  I've taken the front ones out to get the gear in and I'm hoping to be able to replace the removed webs but it'll be a delicate job.  There are other ways of trying to fit the combination of gear and wheel well but all are fraught with difficulty.  Certainly not a "shake'n'bake" kit by any means.

Max

Guest Peterpools

Max

Great to see you back at the bench and diving into the Bf110.  Very nice start on the front office and the IP looks great.

Nothing like a complicated kit where the instructions just make building it as complicated as possible; i.e. the gear.

Just seems that so many kits are not test built by the manufacturer, following their own instructions to insure everything goes smoothly.

Will e along for the entire journey

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Wowa Max,  i just woke up this morning and first thing what a treat to see this thread.  My donor kit arrived for Christmas so I may "cheat" and get started on the G2 conversion.  I think I will mark up the instructions before I cut plastic with reference to the HyperScale posting.  No need for frustration.

Rick

Max

Great to see you back at the bench and diving into the Bf110.  Very nice start on the front office and the IP looks great.

Nothing like a complicated kit where the instructions just make building it as complicated as possible; i.e. the gear.

Just seems that so many kits are not test built by the manufacturer, following their own instructions to insure everything goes smoothly.

Will e along for the entire journey

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Hello Peter, it's great to see you back too! As a sometime technical author, I find non-proof tested instructions particularly galling, writing instructions paid my mortgage for goodness sake!

On the the web there is an errata list for how to build the C-7 kit but you can use is on the E as well. It's verry handy because instructions are not so good.

Yep, I have a couple of errata lists by Brett Green for some of the Bf110s, bits, but not all, of which apply to the D/E kit that I'm building. Thanks for flagging it up gunnyax.

Max, what issue are you having with the gear & the webbing?  I didn't have any similar problems in my E-2 build that I'm pecking away at.  If you take some pics of what's interfering with what, maybe we can talk thru it?

I've got some time tomorrow to look at this area, especially now that the glue has cured properly so I hope to be able to sort things, but if not we'll see if we can tease the problem out. Did you take any further progress shots other than those you've put on your thread?

I'm loving this Bf110E build, despite or perhaps because of the challenging instructions!  The quality of the mouldings is delightful, it makes detail painting such as the dials on the Bordfunker's displays child's play:

Yzeevm.jpg

qPqjhm.jpg

More work still to do on the pilot's area but the cockpit in general is well on its way!