I was hoping to get the prop and wheel bays done tonight, but the prop took much longer than anticipated.

After a few sessions of filling pinholes with CA, surfacer, and sanding, the prop blades cleaned up quite nicely. I removed the kit supplied prop from the two hub halves, and drilled holes to accept the Rutman blades. I took my time gluing these up, making sure everything was aligned and angled properly. I'm pretty happy with the result!

kH92fvn.jpg

ukadVJO.jpg

O4NDWis.jpg

XedWlZk.jpg

On to the wheel bays tomorrow....

We are going back a few years now, so memories can be a little circumspect. Having said that, I did have an opportunity to sit in one of these Mustangs many years ago when it was hangared in YYC (It wasn't Grady's). I distinctly remember the cockpit as light grey with black consoles and panel.

HTH

Mark Proulx

Ross took me for a flight in it. :)

Thanks Mark, much appreciated. I've spent hours trying to find a few reference shots of ANY Cavalier cockpit, but have come up short. I'll keep trying.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm desperate for some more information and photo reference.

I have interior shots. I did maintenance for Ross. I'll have to dig them up.

To be honest Mark, I'm not a Mustang expert, let alone an expert on the Cavalier conversions.

The biggest unknowns for me at this point (and the ones holding up my build) are:

• The cockpit itself. I know that a lot of the military hardware was stripped out, and a backseat added, but I have absolutely zero references to help me with this. I just recently discovered that the cockpit color is a light grey of some sort, but that's all I know. If I can find references, I will scratchbuild the cockpit to reflect any changes.
  • Color of the wheel wells. They are not green in color...could be silver, grey, or unpainted aluminum, but hard to tell from my old photos.
  • Other potential color variations from standard, behind/beneath the panels. Merlin engine and accessories, oil/coolant tanks, panel/structure color...green, unpainted aluminum, black, zinc chromate? No idea...!
  • Did C-GMUS have a baggage door?
  • Armament. I know the guns were removed. Some photos I have show fairings applied to the wing leading edge where the gun muzzles were, and others show the gun muzzles. Were the shell ejector chutes removed?
I do have a resin piece to help with the tall tail, and some drawings to help with panel lines, etc, and Jerry Rutman's cuffless prop blades to depict the correct prop for this aircraft.

As for any other changes that should be made, I could use help and input there for sure.

I would love to see the photos you have or any other references if you don't mind sharing them Mark!

Youâ€ll need the tall tail and the larger canopy. You could ask these guys if they will just cast the tail extension for you:

http://resin2detail.com/product/32037

There are two 1/48 Scale conversions for a non-turbo version of the Cavalier Mustang, this should give you an idea what to do.

https://www.kiwimodelsnz.com/

Edited by ScoobyDoo

How do you plan to do the Cavalier conversion?

For interest sake, I have original photos of the four Bolivian P-51 Mustangs that were imported into Canada, among them What's Up Doc? (a later marking BTW). Each was similarly painted and they are lined up outside the Echo Bay Mines Hangar at the old Edmonton Municipal Airport. Three were Cavalier conversions. Also among the photos, a formation take off of Bolivian P-51's out of Edmonton. Now that is something you wont ever see again here!

Mark Proulx

That formation was front page of the Edmonton Journal in 1977.

We are going back a few years now, so memories can be a little circumspect. Having said that, I did have an opportunity to sit in one of these Mustangs many years ago when it was hangared in YYC (It wasn't Grady's). I distinctly remember the cockpit as light grey with black consoles and panel.

HTH

Mark Proulx

It was a glossy light gray. The instrument panel was also light gray with black instruments. Although I think the panel was changed when I worked on it, it was previously black. The floor was unpainted (silver).

No radio behind the pilot as the second seat was in that location.

This is the http://warbirdregistry.org/p51registry/p51-6722581.htmlfirst Mustang I ever saw up close! Ross used to visit us at the Springbank Airport in the summer as well as down in Okotoks! I've often wondered what happened to Ross - last I heard this a/c was sold down in the States and I think is now flying out of Kissimmee Florida. Looks like a great project!

Cheers

Alan

I kind of lost track of Ross, although he was interviewed for an article in a Mustang special published last year.

His Mustang was in Kissimmee. The tail was chopped to resemble a wartime Mustang. It was in bad accident and last I heard it was flying again.

I looked for it as Oshkosh last year.

http://warbirdregistry.org/p51registry/p51-6722581.html

Edited by ScoobyDoo

Ross took me for a flight in it. :)

You are a lucky man! I always dreamed of going for a ride in that Mustang :)

I have interior shots. I did maintenance for Ross. I'll have to dig them up.

I'm so glad you joined in the fun Scooby, I was hoping you would. I would be over the moon thrilled if you dig up the interior photos and could point me in the right direction. I was getting close to just ‘winging it' with the cockpit, but really want to do this build justice. I also scored a copy of the March ‘85 issue of Flypast that has an article on Cavalier Mustangs, with a picture of ‘What's up Doc' on the cover. :) Hopefully it will come in handy.

Youâ€ll need the tall tail and the larger canopy. You could ask these guys if they will just cast the tail extension for you:http://resin2detail.com/product/32037

There are two 1/48 Scale conversions for a non-turbo version of the Cavalier Mustang, this should give you an idea what to do.https://www.kiwimodelsnz.com/

Thanks for that, I do have a resin piece for the tall tail, and I'm positive Tamiya has included the correct canopy for GMUS in the kit. I'm also sure I have that 1/48 conversion stashed away somewhere. I'll have to try and dig it up...you're right, it could help.

It was a glossy light gray. The instrument panel was also light gray with black instruments. Although I think the panel was changed when I worked on it, it was previously black. The floor was unpainted (silver).

No radio behind the pilot as the second seat was in that location.

This is all great information, thank you! Sounds like the wood floor was removed or replaced? I'm learning so much with this build...there's not much information out there on the Cavalier aircraft. I'm sure I will have plenty of questions for you, I hope you don't mind.

I was happy to stumble on this last night. Where did you find the tail extension? I would like to find one too.

I shared the exact same passion for this aircraft when I was a kid. I recall riding my bike across Edmonton only to stare at it through a chain link fence at the Municipal airport on Saturdays. It too was the first Mustang I ever put my eyes on. Little did I know what association I would have with it later in my adult life. I followed it at airshows while I growing up and later while I was in the Airforce. I became friends with Ross at the Alberta Aviation Museum, where the two of us volunteered in the restoration department.

The cockpit was modernized and did not look at all like a WWII cockpit.

You mentioned Flypast 1985, “What's Up Doc†was on a cover of a magazine last year. There was a special on Mustangs and in this issue there was a new article on the Bolivian Mustangs. I have it, I think it was Warbirds Magazine. There may be a digital version.

I think you are correct about the canopy.

The floor was definitely sheet metal. It was a bolt on fitted cover.

Ross sold his Mustang to the owner in Kissimmee. Who modified it to American Beauty and authenticated it back to WWII standards. I think it was an Oshkosh grand champion or runner up.

She is now Lou IV and is in the Mid America Museum in Texas. I was in error in regards to the accident, there was another Mustang painted as Lou IV that had a fatal accident.

http://www.aerialvisuals.ca/AirframeDossier.php?Serial=21107