What is the best method for decanting spray paints

LSP_Ron

You can also pre-heat the aerosol in hot (not boiling, just hot) water, which counteracts, to a certain extent, the cooling from expansion of the remaining liquid in the can.  Don't worry too much about a perfect temperature, there isn't one.  I just like having the aerosol good and warm in my hand.

You can also pre-heat the aerosol in hot (not boiling, just hot) water, which counteracts, to a certain extent, the cooling from expansion of the remaining liquid in the can.  Don't worry too much about a perfect temperature, there isn't one.  I just like having the aerosol good and warm in my hand.

I remember doing that many years ago when I got my first airbrush and before I had a compressor. I had to do that with the propellant cans to counteract the Venturi effect and extend the time I could use them before pausing. 

• 3 weeks later...

I usually shake the can well to mix the paint, then set it down upside down with the cap on. I then take a small drill, #70 or so and drill a single hole in the bottom. Place a penny over it and leave it alone. Once the gas is out, open it up with a can opener and pour into what ever jar you want. I have never had any paint get out doing it this way.

• 3 weeks later...

I want to close the loop on my high-elevation decanting question. Right after I posted my question in January the only hobby shop here in Bogotá that sells Tamiya paints ran out of the primary shade I needed and I had to wait a month-and-a-half for more to arrive so I just got to try this procedure this week.

I sprayed short bursts (about 3-5 seconds each) into the bottle and paused to let the paint settle a bit. Once I was finished the paint bubbled vigorously for about 20 minutes after which I didn't see any more activity. After an additional 10 minutes of rest I moved the bottle to a more secure location where I left it open overnight before closing it with the cap. Everything has worked as expected based on the guidance from everyone on the blog. Thank you all again and hopefully this might help someone in the future in some place like Denver.