Willy's Jeep 1/16 scale project

Joe66

I do too, but I want to do something different. I found some useful goodies on Shapeways for SAS/LRDG use.

I like different stuff too, and kinda fancy the look of the combination of normal Army Jeep, and a follow me runway leader Jeep............While not ALL garish colors, it retains a little of the look of both - 

usaafjeep.jpg

or this - 

efb9630c99fbb7cc77fa3d936d5d847d.image.5

Ok....I'm really liking the "Follow Me" jeep. It keeps the jeep tied to LSP, since it is an airfield jeep, and I like the combination of the OD / checkerboard paint job, not to mention, by being less equipped than an SAS jeep, more of the focus is on the jeep vs all the extra gear.

I do need to do some research and find some images for the proper radio equipment installed in these airfield jeeps.

Joe

BTW- I really like Jeeps...over the years I have owned a '47 CJ2A, a '68 CJ5, and an '07 Rubicon Edition Unlimited, as well as really 'built' XJ Cherokee. Jeeps have always been fun !

Edited by Joe66

Back in the 1980s somebody made a large scale (I'm thinking 1/20?) Jeep kit. I can't seem to find any info on it. Anybody know what it was, and if it's any good?

Both Italeri and Hasegawa did 1:24 Jeeps, perhaps the same kit, but I recall no 1:20 kits.

Must admit that the "Follow Me"Jeep looks like a good choice and provides a nice crossover between AFV and Aircraft modelling...and it looks cool too!

I've always wanted to build a large scale SAS Jeep though. Didn't Dragon or someone do a 1/6 scale SAS Jeep? It's a bit personal to me as my Grandfather spent time with both the LRDG and SAS in North Africa. I still have his cap badges. He was quite a type and I can well imagine he was well suited to both units!! He also had three invasions under his belt, so not bad going!

Best regards;
Steve

yes, Dragon does a 1/6 SAS Jeep. And I think there was a 1/20 Jeep by Nichimo ?

Oh, and Steve, this probably won't be the only Jeep I do...... The draw of doing something like an SAS Jeep is probably too strong to resist !

Joe

Edited by Joe66

yes, Dragon does a 1/6 SAS Jeep. And I think there was a 1/20 Jeep by Nichimo ?

Joe

Now that I surfed around a bit, Mitsuwa did the Jeep in 1:20, perhaps a re-pop of another kit?

It seems that I have, or at least had, a 1:24 Jeep kit here that I intended to use with my Academy Jagdpanther (despite it being 1:25), but can't for the life of me figure out where it is. Perhaps I lost it as well, who knows.

Verlinden used to have a 1/15 (120mm) kit no. 973 of a British S.A.S Jeep, (this was the conversion kit to their resin jeep kit).  The parts fit very well with the Danbury metal Jeep, but you'll have to source figures for it.  The kit hasn't been out for awhile, but they still come up for reasonable money, if you're patient.  -Mike

Edited by sassgrunt