Su-33 Sea Flanker

johncrow

Here's my tiny update for the month. I thought it would be no big deal to make the little antenna doo-dads that are on the slat leading edge. And it wasn't, if you subtract all the time I wasted looking for the ones I lost, and the time it took to make multiple replacements. 

20170217_115020_resized1_zpsnyxk0tbz.jpg

Certainly not 100% accurate, but nothing on this build is. So were I to spend all kinds of time striving for total accuracy with these little guys, they would look out of place. Right??  Anyhow I think they'll look the part. 

20170217_121019_resized1_zpszwvvxjuf.jpg

And for the other news...

A tiny step forward, and a leap back. While fooling with these things, I managed to basically tear off both intakes. That's a story for some other time! Quite a mess. I've put them back on...but I've seen stories of people who have had limbs sewn back on, and though things may look right to a casual observer, they're really not. So needless to say, this thing will certainly and definitely without question be on the bottom shelf. That being the case, I'm not going to spend a lot of time prettying things up down under this thing. 

Still on track to beat the Tan Models kit!

Thanks for coming by,

jp

• 2 months later...

Wow time flies...not much to show for it but there has been a bit of progress.

I got the intakes re-installed. Here's hoping my clumsiness allows them to stay that way. I got a coat of primer down, and spent an awful lot of time addressing some seams and restoring some panel lines and rivet detail. I also got the lightest camo color put down. I'm trying Akan paints for the first time, and I'm not yet sure how I feel about them. I also think this color may be a bit bright, but I can always tone it down a bit later. As I mentioned earlier, I'm cutting some (more) corners with this build as I really want it done.

Su33Paint_zpsh7okpq6f.jpg

I just noticed that it appears I wasn't holding the 'ol cellphone square to the model...looks sort of skewed. 

Still hoping to beat the Tan kit!  

Thanks for stopping by,

jp

Guest Clunkmeister

JohnCrow, stupendous job on the Sea Flanker!

And, as much as I love this airplane and wanted a Sea Flanker, I, Sir, am forever in your debt. :bow:

JohnCrow, stupendous job on the Sea Flanker!

And, as much as I love this airplane and wanted a Sea Flanker, I, Sir, am forever in your debt. :bow:

Thanks, Clunkmeister, and you're welcome!  I feel the same way!

John, MRP do a full set of Su-33 paints if you don't like the AKAN ones. I couldn't get along with them at all myself, found them to suffer from tip dry way too soon. 

Good to know, Breaker. I'll probably give them a try on the Su-33 kit when it is released. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've put down some more paint. I'm using AKAN paints, and though they seem a bit finicky, I can get decent results. I'm not entirely happy with the way these look right now, but I think after touching up a few spots where the masks lifted a bit, and one or two spots where the paint lifted, it'll be OK. The colors are a bit bright, I think, but after a bit of a gray filter I think they'll do. Pictures of the real deal show a lot of variation anyhow. Masking the rest of the thing is work...I've got all of one color and part of another down, but still a long way to go.

330b5182-caff-4280-8534-3cb77d2cef7f_zps

Thanks for stopping by,

jp

Edited by johncrow

• 3 weeks later...

I've gotten more paint put down. I'm not thrilled with it. A lot of overspray, underspray, and lifted paint. But I think I can make it work with some touch-ups and a few areas getting some respray action. It still appears very bright in the picture, but the real deal looks somewhat better.

Su33Paint2_zpsl7f2iiqz.jpg

The worst offender is the middle blue. The light gray/blue and the dark gray/blue did quite well, but that medium blue didn't handle masking very well at all. Two out of three ain't bad, I've heard. I think next time I'm sticking with Tamiya paints. They are very much easier to lay down than the AKAN paints, at least for me. The only issue with Tamiya I have is getting colors mixed properly. The AKAN paint was supposed to be pretty close color-wise out of the bottle, but I found that I had to lighten up each color quite a bit, so I had to mix colors anyway, and it took more effort to get a nice finish.

Thanks for coming by,

jp