Tamiya F4U-1 Birdcage Corsair

BloorwestSiR

Hi Carl,

Very nice progress so far; i like the job you've done on the engine.

I know you probably have started to play around with test fitting the engine onto the firewall "Dishpan"by now, but if i can offer some advice, start test fitting the nose ring, cowling panels, and the piece on the fuselage at the 12 O'Clock position behind the cowling and check for gaps.

The tolerances on the kit are very tight, and the contact points between the engine components (Between the front and real cylinders and especially the exhaust pipes) are very susceptible to paint buildup throwing off the fit. The end result is, as the engine parts get "stacked" together, the engine gets "longer" and since the nose ring attaches to the front cylinder bank, you can wind up with unrealistically large gaps at the back side of the cowling in the cowling flap area.

However, no such problem if you build with the model with 360-degree "wrap around" cowling flaps in the open position.

Hope this helps. Very often people don't notice this until the "end game", so forewarned is forearmed.

-d-

Go Harv!

Nice! The chipping look very realistic.

Thanks Shaka! I'm really happy with the way it's turning out just scribbling it on with the pencil. I think the unevenness is what makes it look good. Edited by BloorwestSiR

Thanks HÃ¥kan and Dennis!

Dennis, thanks for the heads up. I did do a bit of test fitting and was concerned when I noticed the two big cowl covers wouldn't go on fully. I shaved off some plastic from one until I realized I had them on upside down. Thankfully they're nice and tight now. I've got the engine in place now and it seems to be OK.

IMG_20161120_000436.jpg

I'll check the fit of the cowl flaps a as I'm planning to have them closed.

Carl

Carl, as I said in my latest update, be sure to not get paint on mating areas. I had a sh#t load of probs in the center sec.because of it. Test fit everything....Harv

I like the situation on your desk Carl ... makes me feel ....more appreciated   :)

Cheers

Martin

Martin, this has been in the past the way my workbench usually looked. So nothing new for me. A return to old habits I guess  :doh:

Carl, as I said in my latest update, be sure to not get paint on mating areas. I had a sh#t load of probs in the center sec.because of it. Test fit everything....Harv

Harv, i'll definitely be doing a bunch of test fitting.Between the wings folded/un-folded, flaps up/down options, etc, there's a bunch to double check as I go along. 

Carl

Guest Peterpools

Carl

Some terrific progress on the Corsair and I followed the same route on colors and mixes; using Tamia's instructions as my guide. Can't image what you mean: this is your first radial after a steady diet of Merlins!

Mossies, Spitfires and Mustangs .. nothing could be finer

Keep 'em coming :popcorn:

Peter

Carl

Some terrific progress on the Corsair and I followed the same route on colors and mixes; using Tamia's instructions as my guide. Can't image what you mean: this is your first radial after a steady diet of Merlins!

Mossies, Spitfires and Mustangs .. nothing could be finer

Keep 'em coming :popcorn:

Peter

Thanks Peter!

This is the first radial engine I've done in 32nd scale. So far I've got five Tamiya Spitfires, their Mossie, HK's Mossie, and Dragon's P-51 all done which sums up my prop collection to date.

It won't be the last though, as I've got two 1-A's and when/if they release a 1-D, there will be at least one of those too.

Carl