Tamiya F4U-1 Corsair finished 5/14/15

Daywalker

Thank you all!

Looking good! Love the paintwork and I'm envious of the closed cowl flaps. The Vector set I'm using on mine is pretty but very flimsy.

I also bought the Vector set, but after assembling the engine and forgetting to sandwich the intake/exhaust pipes posed them shut as I was afraid you would see the omission on the finished build.  After looking down in there- you really couldn't see they were missing.  I really like the look of the opened flaps (and 99.9% of the Corsairs I see in photos have them open) but appreciate the ease of building them closed.  My only minor gripe with these Tamiya Corsairs are the rubber tires, featureless cowl flaps and missing gun tubes.  Otherwise, perfection in plastic!

Thanks Mal, good to see you again!  It has been a while, hasn't it?

Frank,

Very, very nice paint job, and as you mention a great launch pad for markings and weathering! Which a/c are you building? Spirit of 76?

Cheers, Tom

Thanks Tom, this one is going to be a rather plain aircraft from the early days of VMF-214 on Vella LaVella.  Not yet sure of the exact airframe, working on cutting some masks for one now.  Guess we'll see which numbers work out!

Edited by Daywalker

Guest Peterpools

Frank

I'm with you and even though I bought the vector cowl set as I didn't use it on the Birdcage, as I'm saving it for another build. MY BIG P&W is now safe and sound inside the engine cowling as well.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

• 4 weeks later...

Peter and Wolf- Thank you so much, appreciate the feedback!

All the posts prior to  31 October 2014 - 04:04 AM no longer have the pictures/images. Is there a way to see them? thanks

Hmmm... somehow my original photos were not there, not sure why.  I just went and uploaded them again, tried very hard to get them all in the right places- should be pretty close.  Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

• 5 months later...

When i clicked on the hot link you posted, it took me to a posting about Stukas with Snakes on them.

Beautiful looking Birdcage Corsair. Nicely weathered with lots of restraint. Choice of insignia with the red surround looks very nice too. Better than i can do for sure.

david