So I recently bought...

Cap'n Wannabe

I have one of those, and I'm betting much of it is spruce. It's a little too stiff to be balsa or bass wood. I have the engine and prop built, but stalled on the wing ribs....very tedious!

Ahh, yes. I could see the kit being birch, and yes it is model expo. I did not know anyone made a plastic kit.

So you were asking about the wood used on the real plane, yes?

Edited by BiggTim

Yes I was.  And more importantly, how to replicate it in plastic!

Birch is a light colored wood, so you may have to experiment a little.  If it was me, I'd start out with a light colored tan followed with a light brown wash.  HTH  Got any scrap laying around? :)

Best regards

Patrick

That's a good idea, Patrick, but he still doesn't know if the real plane is made of birch. I've been reading everything I can search up, but I can't find whether the real camels were spruce or birch, but I'm betting on spruce.

Spruce is also a light colored wood (blond), used a lot for backs on string instruments, (violins, guitars, etc,).  So at a distance, I don't think there would be much difference in appearance for either wood.  So even up close, you're viewing it at a distance in 1/16 scale.  Now birch is a hard wood as opposed to spruce which is softer and lighter.  So maybe a lighter weight wood was more desirable to use, to make it less difficult to get the plane aloft. All this is conjecture based on my woodworking experience.  I know nothing about Camels except that I did use to smoke them many years ago. lol  Any other woods maybe?

Best regards

Patrick

Spruce was traditionally used for masts and spars of sailing ships, being strong yet not too stiff, and with a good capacity to resist the elements (like a lot of resin woods)

I would assume that the shipbuilding techniques and materials were an inspiration for the early planes, knowing the resistance-to-weight ratio of a wood would also have been a key consideration.

Hubert

Edited by MostlyRacers

I thought I read somewhere that Hasegawa's 1/8 Camel was made of accurate materials... I know Der Clunkmeister has one of these in his stash - maybe he'll chime in here.

That's my understanding, too....and I'd really like to prise Der Clunkmeister's kit from his grasp! lol

Mine's 1/16, which is made from plastic.