Kinetic Hawk 100

BloorwestSiR

Hi Derek,

Thanks for posting the photos. Looks like my cockpit is a bit on the light side. Oh well, doesn't look off too much. I'll compare your pics to the PE belts and see how close those are before I make a decision.

Found this photo over on the RCAF website and thought it was great:

http://www.airforceimagery.forces.gc.ca/netpub/server.np?original=4666&site=casimages&catalog=casimages

Nice formation but sadly I missed it even though they're only 45 mins away from where I live.

Carl

Nice picture Carl (we did something similar with our aircraft here in the UK a while ago).

I have just consulted the CT-115 aircraft build drawings for the paint call out for the cockpit areas, and it is indeed dark admiralty grey (quoted as: Paint, Finishing, Grey DTD5599 - BS381C-632M).

Your model is looking great - I am enjoying this build :popcorn:

Derek

Great photo Carl, thanks for posting, doesn't look too bad in Canadian markings. There is a build on Britmodeller http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234934113-132-hawk-100/ which hopefully you may find useful. I would try to get the CMK seats, though they do seem to be sold out everywhere now. Two Mikes Resin make the ACMI pods http://www.twomikesresin.com/index1.html

Great looking plane, well it is British, and like Derek I'm really enjoying this build.

Hi folks,

Derek, thanks for the colour and seat information. My cockpit is definitely a bit on the lighter side but I can live with it.

Kagemusha and Marju, thanks for the encouragement. I'm glad you're all enjoying this build. I certainly am.

I installed the cockpit and decided that adding the throttles before closing things up would't be a bad idea.

The front office:

001.jpg

and the back one:

002.jpg

Once I had the cockpit tub in, I noticed that the front opening might be noticable so I blocked it off with a square of sheet styrene just in case. Don't want anyone's looking for their change in there:

003.jpg

Edited by BloorwestSiR

The fuselage went together fairly well. There are some small seams but the fit is decent.

The upper spine:

004.jpg

The nose (a bit out of focus):

005.jpg

The panel behind the cockpit just dropped into place. The sides and rear joints are nice, no gaps or steps.

007.jpg

There is a small gap around the cockpit bulkhead:

008.jpg

This was easily filled with a thin strip of styrene:

009.jpg

Here's a pic of a couple of the odd moulding bumps that are on some parts of the kit. You can see them along the edge just below the ventral fin:

012.jpg

The ones on the other side were a bit more irregular in shape but didn't like their picture taken. They have to be removed or the joint doesn't end up being as tight as it could be.

After test fitting, I shimmed the fuselage bracket that the insert rests against so that the insert would be flush with the fuselage:

013.jpg

And forgot to take a picture of the result... :oops:

There's a snowstorm heading our way tonight (first real one in a couple years) so maybe on the weekend I'll get a chance to make some more progress.

Carl

The wing root gap however, might need some filler :P

010.jpg

Actually, with the Seafire wing backwards, it almost looks like it would work.

"Look Mummy, a Bae Hawkfire!"

:lol:

Derek

Edited by Derek B

Got some more work on the kit done the other day. Decided to play hookey from work and enjoy some building time :)

I installed the outer intakes and they needed a bit of filler on the joints.

Here's with the correct wings in place, again just a dry fit:

013.jpg

Here's a close up of the port intake. You can see some of the filler (melted sprue) from a second coat (or was that a third?) yet to be sanded:

014.jpg

Thankfully, there's not a lot of panel lines on that section so I won't have too much engraving to do to replace it.

Here's a view of the forward underside seam. Again, a relatively decent fit:

015.jpg

The rear one though, has a slight step in it:

016.jpg

I shaved a bit off the joining areas on both the wing and lower fuselage and that pretty mcuh eliminated the step

Got some more work on the kit done the other day. Decided to play hookey from work and enjoy some building time :)

I installed the outer intakes and they needed a bit of filler on the joints.

Here's with the correct wings in place, again just a dry fit:

013.jpg

Here's a close up of the port intake. You can see some of the filler (melted sprue) from a second coat (or was that a third?) yet to be sanded:

014.jpg

Thankfully, there's not a lot of panel lines on that section so I won't have too much engraving to do to replace it.

Here's a view of the forward underside seam. Again, a relatively decent fit:

015.jpg

The rear one though, has a slight step in it:

016.jpg

I shaved a bit off the joining areas on both the wing and lower fuselage and that pretty mcuh eliminated the step

Nice work Carl. The underside forward wing to fuselage joint is the actual wing joint on the full size aircraft here, so it would need to be a subtle joint rather than a completely smooth eradicated one! (the rear wing joint line is the scribed line adjacent to the flaps).

0842058.jpg

Cheers

Derek

Hi Derek, thanks for posting that pic.

It also helped confirm that there is a small moulding flaw in the kit. The bottom fuselage section just in front of the wing has a trough moulded into it at the seam. It's small so easily filled which is what I did. What made me a bit uncertain if it was an actual feature on the aircraft was that it ends perfectly at the panel line where the blade antenna is. I didn't get any shots of it before I filled it in unfortunately to better show what I'm talking about.

Hopefully, I'll get some more done this weekend.

Carl

• 2 weeks later...

Got quite a bit more done.

I am coming to the conclusion that the paint colours Kinectic has listed are all a bit on the light side. So far, the cockpit, seat cushion and fuselage colours are all lighter than photos show as well as the information that Derek has provided.

I have started work on the seats. The instructions tell you to use a olive green for the cushions. Not having access the net in my workshop, I used their recommended paint colour (Vallejo) and thought it was much too light. When I got home, I checked the photos Derek had posted and that confirmed my thoughts. So here they are repainted using Tamiya Khaki Drab instead:

001.jpg

The PE belts that Kinectic includes are a bit on the simple side so I swiped the belts from my Revell Hawk kit that's in the stash and will use them on this build.

002-1.jpg

These are from Kuivalainen but are made by Eduard. The interesting thing is they're just over the 1/2 the price of the Eduard ones. One thing I was pleasantly surprised about was that he belts are printed on both sides.

I forgot to take pics but I have one seat almost done with the belts. All I can say is they are fiddley.

Carl