1/18 F4U-1 Corsair progress

EPinniger

I've completed the first stage of my 1/18 F4U-1 Corsair - the fuselage internal structure rear of the "firewall".

(NOTE: To help out those (like me) with 56k connections, all the images other than the first one are links, rather than inline images.)

f4u_fuselagestructure1.jpg

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~pinniger...estructure2.jpg

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~pinniger...estructure3.jpg

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~pinniger...estructure4.jpg

Ribs are styrene strip (Evergreen and Slaters) and bulkheads are cut from 1mm styrene sheet, with the help of a profile gauge.

The next stage is to add the cockpit detail, radio equipment and compass, and tail wheel, as well as wiring, control cables, etc. The bulkheads also need some extra detailing.

Everything forward of the "firewall" will be added once the fuselage halves are re-assembled.

f4u_wheelwellstructure1.jpg

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~pinniger...lstructure2.jpg

I've also started work on the wheel wells - still plenty of work needed here though! Sidewalls are constructed from 0.75mm styrene sheet.

This model is built from a 21st Century Toys 1/18 model which I've completely dismantled and "stripped down", removing

all of the internal tabs, screw fittings, etc. I'm completely rebuilding it with full interior detail. (The exterior will have plenty of extra detail too, but the interior needs to be done first!)

I've retained some of the detail parts from the original model - such as the wheels, engine and prop, pilot's seat, instrument panels, etc. - but most of it will need to be scratchbuilt.

I've also seperated all of the flaps and control surfaces (including trim tabs). All of the access panels will also be removable on the finished model, so you can actually see the interior detail. Since there is no access panel for the rear fuselage, I'll just make a section of the fuselage skin removable.

I'm not sure of the dimensional accuracy of the 21st Century aircraft (I'm not really a rivet-counter) but they certainly look like the aircraft they represent, and provide an excellent "shell" for superdetailing if you can stand the tedious job of removing all the screw fittings and other junk from the interior! The cockpit interior details are fairly basic, about the level of an average 1/48 kit, and often have inaccuracies (e.g the Corsair cockpit has a floor, and the control column/joystick bears no resemblance to the real example) but some of the parts, such as seats and instrument panels, can be salvaged for use in a scratchbuilt cockpit.

Here's what the aircraft looked like before I attacked it with a craft knife and Dremel razor saw! :

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~pinniger...r/f4u_orig2.jpg

The Corsair WON'T have folding wings unfortunately; I can't think of a way to make a working fold mechanism that looks realistic/accurate but is also structurally durable, and I don't really want to model the aircraft with the wings permanently folded.

Not sure of the colour scheme I'll use but I'll probably go with a US Navy three-tone blue scheme. I was considering a British Fleet Air Arm scheme, but finding suitable decals will be a problem.

Finally, many thanks to LSP forum members such as Chris\Germany and Erwin who kindly provided me with reference images of the Corsair interior. Without them I probably wouldn't have been able to make my Corsair's internal structure as accurate

and detailed.

:ph34r: ;)

thats a lot of work you're putting in. Good on ya ;) ;)

I'd never thought of doing one that way but it shoud turn out a treat. I think I have an old FSM article on a huge corsair like that ( I think its that scale)...I can see if its there if you'd like. Give me an email if you'd like it scanned. Be looking forward to more updates but I'm in the throws of doing the same so I know how much extra time it all takes.

cheers Matt

I have that issue of FSM - the model in question is a completely scratchbuilt 1/16 Corsair,

made entirely from metal (mostly aluminium I think). It actually has working cockpit controls which

move the control surfaces via cables.

It's an absolutely incredible piece of work, to say the very least. I wish I had a fraction of that modeller's skills!

I've always wanted to build a really large, detailed model of a WW2 aircraft, with all the interior

details represented and all the access panels removable, but my scratchbuilding skills simply aren't up

to building a complete airframe. Therefore the 21st Century aircraft are a good way to get a basic large airframe

for superdetailing. (Balsa kits are another way, but I'm not much good at balsa modelling).

They're fairly expensive here in the UK (normally £45 to £60) but you can get them cheaper if you look around -

the Corsair cost me £25 from the RAF Museum shop.

Adding the fuselage detail didn't actually take as long as you might think. All the ribs are pre-cut styrene strip so I just had to pre-curve them, cut them to the right length and glue them in position. The bulkheads were the trickiest bit, but a profile gauge helped a lot. I used the gauge to make a half-round template from thin styrene, then traced around both sides of this onto 1mm styrene card to make a complete bulkhead.

I won't be adding any of the internal structure of the wings, as it won't be visible on the completed model so there's not much point. Just the wheel wells, gun/ammo bays and air intakes.

What model are you working on, CQBDent?

I'm doing much the same on a FW190 1/24 airfix kit. The fuselage bulkheads got me...getting them sitting right. I used a profile guage as well but made the mistake of trying to do one side at a time, then join them as I glue the fuselage sides together. Whoops didn't think that through but perhaps we are both in the same boat...I'm as keen as mustard but somewhat frustrated by my lack of scratching skills...still, whilst not trying to be positive, only realistic...one has to start somewhere eh? Its heaps of fun though.

I'll be looking forward to more. I'm struck waiting on a few tools to do what I want to do on the 190.

Cheers Matt

What I did was:

- Measure the bulkhead shape with the profile gauge.

- Trace around the profile gauge onto 0.5mm styrene, draw a line connecting the ends with a ruler, then cut out

the shape (cut just inside the traced line, otherwise it'll be too big). You now have a "half-round" template of

the bulkhead shape.

- Trim and sand this half-template until it fits the shape of the fuselage interior.

- Hold the template in position and mark the edges of the fuselage halves on the template, then cut off the excess

with a ruler + craft knife, so it is now exactly half the width of the fuselage.

- Trace around both sides of the half-template onto 1mm styrene (or whatever thickness you want) then cut it out (again,

just inside the traced line). You now (theoretically) should have a bulkhead of the right shape and size.

This method worked for me, though I had to try several times before I got some of the bulkheads right (mostly due to forgetting the fourth stage, so the half template was too wide)

Finally managed to make a start on the cockpit interior (reference material partly thanks to the flight simulator "Pacific Fighters") so hopefully will post some more photos over the next few days.

Currently I'm trying to find something in my "spares box" suitable for the valve wheels (or whatever they are). There are several of these on the cockpit side panels. I'm sure I have some wheel hubs, MG ammo drums, or similar somewhere which will be suitable after some modification. If not, I'll have to scratchbuild them.

Thats quite a task with the 1/18 corsair but once completed it'll be a real show stopper. I started the same bit with the 1/18 P-47 but quickly got overwhelmed and put it aside. The F4U is a much better kit to start with, can be fixed much easier. Be patient and creative, the guys here will be great for referencs and support. Keep us posted along the way. ;)

What are the main problems with the P-47? Is it worse than the Corsair in terms of detail/accuracy? (and is this the bubbletop or razorback version? both are available in 1/18)

The Corsair seems to be one of the first planes 21st Century made, and it is noticeably cruder than their later efforts. This is actually the reason I chose it as my first 1/18 project, as if it went disastrously wrong (thankfully it didn't) it wouldn't be such of a loss!

I also have the P-40 and Spitfire (both as yet unmodified) and these both have much finer surface detail and also features like movable control surfaces and flaps, transparent wingtip lights etc.

They are also much easier to dismantle as they are held together almost entirely with screws - no glue. The Corsair was an absolute nightmare to disassemble (even with the help of the Dremel circular saw attachment) and I ended up cracking one of the fuselage halves, though thankfully it was reasonably easy to repair.

Anyway, I'm making fairly good progress on the cockpit detail. The left-hand side panel is virtually complete and I've started work on the right-hand one. It requires a fair amount of creativity in working out to fabricate all these tiny parts - for the valve wheels, I ended up using slices of hexagonal styrene with a thin slice of circular rod in the centre.

For the levers, I'll use thin styrene rod (or maybe brass wire) with a tiny round glass bead for the "knob".

The instrument panel is going to be a challenge. I still can't decide whether to just use the existing moulded instruments, or scratchbuild replacements.

The razorback jug needs a new cowling, plenty of injector marks filled, new windscreen and canopy, landing gear and wheels. Its a good basis for a super-detail job and has some very good features but I think the Corsair is a better starting point. :D

... needs a new cowling... new windscreen and canopy, landing gear and wheels.

Ouch!

I've just bought a P-47 Razorback along with a couple of other 1/18 planes which I found cheaply on eBay (they haven't arrived yet). I've been

thinking of buying some other ones for future projects, and thought I'd better pick them up cheap when I could, as they

are very hard to find here in the UK.

Unfortunately I don't think my scratchbuilding skills are up to making replacements for any of those parts, other than the landing gear (minus the wheels)! Looks like I'll just have to put up with the existing parts.

What's wrong with the cowling - is it the wrong shape?

I'm not really a "rivet counter" so don't mind dimensional inaccuracies too much providing the model still looks like the real aircraft.

The Corsair cockpit is progressing well, I've now almost finished the left-hand panels (with all the "flip switches") and am currently working on the instrument panel, forward bulkhead, and radio compartment.

I'll try and get some photos posted tomorrow.

Here's some more photos showing my recent progress. Currently I'm working on the cockpit area.

Note that all the parts shown in these photos are "work in progress". Apart from being unpainted, many smaller details

haven't yet been added yet.

f4u_cockpit1_1.jpg

Instrument panel and forward bulkhead. Nowhere near finished - in particular, the bulkhead needs a lot of wiring and plumbing .

f4u_cockpit1_2.jpg

Left-hand instrument console (still missing a few levers and gauges.)

f4u_cockpit1_3.jpg

Right-hand instrument console, fitted to the fuselage half. The instruments fitted to the sidewall haven't been added yet, and the console is also missing a few bits.

Note the test coats of primer on the lower fuselage (interior green in the cockpit, zinc chromate everywhere else)

f4u_cockpit1_4.jpg

Instrument panels, consoles and radio compartment floor (under construction) temporarily fitted. The seat is still missing as are the foot rests, rudder pedals, control column, and all of the bits underneath the cockpit (oxygen bottles, wiring etc.)

The instrument panels and side consoles are based on the original 21st Century parts with many scratchbuilt

details made from Slaters/Evergreen styrene stock and various bits from the "scrap box". Thin slices of Aeroclub struts were used to make some of the switches.

Wiring and plumbing will be made from brass and copper wire, but I haven't got round to adding this yet!

There is still a LOT of work needed before this project will be anywhere near finished, but it's progressing fairly well I think. Currently I've taken a break from the cockpit area and am working on the tailwheel struts and the wing wheel wells.

Also, here's my latest 1/18 acquisition, the Fw190D-9 (apologies for the poor quality photo). I was lucky enough to find this on eBay for around £22 including P&P. They usually sell for £50 or more.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~pinniger...air/fw190d1.jpg

I'll superdetail this (eventually) similarly to the Corsair, but unlike the Corsair it will have a full engine (inline engines are a -lot- easier to scratchbuild than radials)

I ALMOST... bought one of these Fw-190 D-9's, this past Sat. at a local Air Show, close to my home. It's a small air show in comparison, but there's at least a few WWII aircraft there each year. :lol:

Anyway, back to the point. As I said, I "almost" bought one of these (at $40 US) from the guy selling them. He had one of these D-9's out on display, so I was able to actually pick the model up and "examine" the specimen, up close and personal. ;) At first, I was quite amazed at how "detailed" this thing was considering its 1/18 scale. Then I notice a GLARING FAULT, which just totally turned me off to forking out the $40. The gear legs and the gear doors are molded as ONE PIECE!!! The worst part of that is... the gear legs look as though there is only HALF the leg there on either side! What REALLY tops this off is... the main landing gear wheels, have a single "screw" going right through the OUTSIDE of the gear doors to allow for a set of "rolling wheels"?! ;)

Then it hit me... this is a "kids" toy [for the most part], and I walked away happy to have saved myself $40! ;)

I ALMOST... bought one of these Fw-190 D-9's, this past Sat. at a local Air Show, close to my home. It's a small air show in comparison, but there's at least a few WWII aircraft there each year. :lol:

Anyway, back to the point. As I said, I "almost" bought one of these (at $40 US) from the guy selling them. He had one of these D-9's out on display, so I was able to actually pick the model up and "examine" the specimen, up close and personal. ;) At first, I was quite amazed at how "detailed" this thing was considering its 1/18 scale. Then I notice a GLARING FAULT, which just totally turned me off to forking out the $40. The gear legs and the gear doors are molded as ONE PIECE!!! The worst part of that is... the gear legs look as though there is only HALF the leg there on either side! What REALLY tops this off is... the main landing gear wheels, have a single "screw" going right through the OUTSIDE of the gear doors to allow for a set of "rolling wheels"?! ;)

Then it hit me... this is a "kids" toy [for the most part], and I walked away happy to have saved myself $40! ;)

I generally agree with you. Many non-modellers I've spoken to say what impressive models these are, particularly for the price - but from a modeller's point of view they have many glaring faults. The Spitfire has the exact same problem with the U/C legs, though at least its wheels are screwed on from the other side!

The Corsair at least has undercarriage legs moulded seperately from the doors, but the legs are so chunky and inaccurate that I'll probably have to scratchbuild new ones, though the wheels/tyres are probably salvageable.

However, (providing you're not concerned with every rivet and panel line being in the right place, and every part being the correct dimensions down to the last millimetre and degree) they do provide a very good "shell" for superdetailing - providing you don't mind scratchbuilding virtually everything except the airframe ;)

I'd never buy one of these just to display it unmodified, though - they don't really have much more detail than the various 1/72 and 1/48 metal diecast aircraft (Corgi, Collection Armour, Franklin Mint etc.) which take up a lot less display space.

The Corsair is progressing fairly well - I've added the tailwheel leg/struts, arrestor hook damper spring, radio compartment floor, compass mount (no radio or compass yet though), rudder/elevator connecting rod (or whatever the technical term for it is), and various other bits. I'm currently doing more to the cockpit area. The instrument panel is virtually finished now, other than the gunsight, but I've run into some problems with the seat mounting and the foot rests/rudder pedals. It's very hard to work out what these are actually supposed to look like from the photos I have, particularly the seat mounting (i.e the parts between the seat and the rear armoured bulkhead).

It probably seems like I'm spending hours on this project but I usually do about 20-30 minutes of work on this model a day, on average, though I spent longer doing the fuselage ribs + bulkheads.

It's surprising what you can do with a boxful of styrene stock and scrap kit parts - the most difficult part usually is trying to deciper the reference photographs and diagrams to work out what part goes where, and what shape it's supposed to be!

I'm also not going to bother with areas of the interior which simply won't be visible on the finished model. For example, the rear of the instrument panel - I've just added various discs to represent the instrument backs and won't be bothering with wiring etc. Once the fuel tank is in place, this part will be hardly visible.

Similarly, I'm not going to add any of the internal structure to the wings, other than the visible areas (wheel wells, gun/ammo bays).

EPinniger...I agree with you, they are all a good place to start with a super detail. Its just that some will have less to correct than others. I think the FW-190D9 is one of the best as is the Spitfire. With some imagination and modeling skills, they can be transformed into show-stoppers. I'd look for shortcuts where you can such as parts for small R/C kits and such. Please post more images of your progress on the Corsair. The P-47 is good, especially the bubbletop. Some guys might not notice the problems with the cowling, canopy and landing gear, others of us are a bit anal about the Jug. Don't be hindered in any way with what you're doing, you've got the drive and inspiration going plus you've already cut it all to pieces ;) you can't stop now. :lol:

Hi,

You asked about my book on the Corsair.

It's called "The Great Book Of WW-2 Airplanes" from Cresent books -New York.

It has profiles on these planes:

P-38,P-51,B-17,Hellcat,Corsair,Spitfire,Mosquito,Lancaster,Bf 109,FW 190,Stuka and Zero.

My wife bought this five years ago for my 40 th birthday. It was about 70 Euros =85 dollars.

post-4-1128457194.jpg