1/32 Revell P-40E

Adrian A.

Hi Guy's,

Thanks for the kind words, believe me it's getting better :lol:

Piet - I like the P-40 myself - it ranks right up there with the P-38 & P-51 for me. I have an 'experimental' 109 E that I haven't started on yet. I'll be experimenting with PE & resin on it. Also my first Luftwaffe camo job. (That ought to be fun :lol: )

Jim - I thought about giving up on this bird many times, I just couldn't get rid of it. I'm improving a bit myself, you just can't tell from this build :D I always have fun when I finally get to model, it just comes along to seldom.

Hey wingman, I wish I had a nickle for every time someone said that to me since Rocky came out. I could retire!! ;) :D My satisfaction came from FINALLY finishing this build. It was like a hurdle lurking around the workbench that I couldn't (or didn't want ) to get over.

My next build will be to finish my HobbyCraft Wildcat. It's nearly finished on the build, just have to paint , weather, decal & finish it. I've experimented on it too. Wiring on the engine, Seatbelts in the cockpit, Eduard Canopy Masks (They ain't very good!) & my first use of an airbrush. I'll be shooting the first coat of Navy Blue Gray in about 30 minutes or so. Wish me luck!

Adrian A.

I have an 'experimental' 109 E that I haven't started on yet. I'll be experimenting with PE & resin on it. Also my first Luftwaffe camo job. (That ought to be fun :lol: )

You can afford that stuff to experiment with!

Jeez, if I get pe stuff I frame it . 'Round here resin assesories get ground up and cut with ordinary styrene and baking powder. Then we sell it in small bags at parties where people sniff it through a $(Zim)100 000 000 000.00 note. (Thats worth about 2 cents now)

Once at the IPMS SA I heard about a guy who got PE stuff. But he is now too cool to come to the club anymore.

:D ;) :D

PS If you even need 109e spares just yell. Or if you really reeeaally need them post me a pm :P :lol: I got plenty.

Oh, an dont worry about the LW camo. In fact the more inept and pathetic your airbrush technique is, the more realistic the mottle looks. ;) If you cannot fake ineptness, try alcahol. Or, if all else fails, sniff some ground resin like the rest of us.

All the best

Piet

Piet,

It took me a loonnggg time to save up for that PE!! :lol: :D

But seriously :lol: I've only got two, one for the 109 & one for my P-51B.

The resin for the 109 is the Verlinden set.

As for the ineptness on the airbrush, I've just proven that I'm the king of that.

Anybody else have a total disaster with their first airbrush experience?? It wasn't pretty!

Adrian A.

Thanks Erwin, I like the look of your P40 also. Is that a desert scheme? I may try that scheme on a quick OOB build on one of my Hurricanes to test my airbrushing technique (or lack of :blink: ).

You've done quite a bit of good build's, I think you've done a great job on them.

I know exactly what you mean on the landing gear Tim, I was really close to just gluing those suckers but I decided against it. The gear doors have proven to be a pain in the butt also.

Adrian A.

Not the easiest of old Revell kits to build.

It's one of the oldest of the old Revell kits (in 1/32 scale that is). The P-40, the Spit MkI and the 109F were the first 1/32 scale Revell a/c kits, released simultaneously back in 1967.

Mike

a

b

e

n

...not bad for their day :rolleyes:

The P-40, the Spit MkI and the 109F were the first 1/32 scale Revell a/c kits, released simultaneously back in 1967.

Ever wonder why Revell picked those three planes as their first in the 32 nd scale ?

Clearly the Spitfire as most known British plane and the 109 as the most known German.

But what about the P-40. The most known US fighter is the P-51. Then why make the P-40 ?

Perhaps because it was the only plane in large numbers available at the time the US entered the war ?

In response to Erwins question, I said almost exactly what you did Mike...almost word for word...it worked on me...and for what its worth, if the old Revell kits were reissued with maybe some new decals and priced really affordable ( $ 25-30) I'd buy them for sure...even if they aren't perfect. So far I can think of Mossie, Typhoon, Me110, P51B,109F all of which seem to be Ebay only :lol:

In relation to the 'Adrian...Rocky reference'...my friend rings the other day and says she hired the Rocky series for her young lads to watch. She then says she really enjoyed all the movies and felt really sorry for him..wanted to run out and make him a cup of tea. :ph34r: ;) clearly she's, ah...using a wee bit too much Prozac ;) ;)

Ciao ;) Mateo

But what about the P-40. The most known US fighter is the P-51. Then why make the P-40 ?

Perhaps because it was the only plane in large numbers available at the time the US entered the war ?

Because of the coverage the Flying Tigers received and also the movie Flying Tigers John Wayne from the war, the P-40 was really sunk into the American consciousness, that big snarling shark mouth didn’t hurt either! ( lots of ads during the war would feature the P-40 and the shark mouth) Nobody during the war looked at it as being the most produced fighter, even as kids in the sixties and seventies when plastic models took over didn’t give a thought about it being the most produced fighter at the beginning of the war, it just looked cool with that shark mouth as we pretended we were with John Wayne and the Flying Tigers over the rice paddies of China. During the Battle of Britain the Spitfire did a good job, but the Hurricane had a larger part of the battle, it’s still the Spitfire that has really stuck in the consciousness of the British people.