1/32 Mig15Bis Trumpeter

LSP_Matt

Hi chaps,

picked a few of these up from Raymond at Lucky Model to kind of practice new techniques on. From what I have read its not a highly regarded kit as it was Trumpeters first effort. On the other hand, given I know nothing about Mig15's, and the kit cost $6 US its not like I'm going to be terribly worried. In the end I decided to use the kit as a bit of an experiment in developing NMF's and using Pledge for the first time ( Pledge is apparently the Aussie 'Future' equivalent).

For references I used pics I found off the net. The colour scheme was chosen by my daughter Amber. I put it on a stand so it will mount on her school desk.

Here's what you get in the kit as far as the engine stakes go

post-4-1126869846.jpg

Boy o boy did I have some sanding and filling to do on this plane though. The fuselage is split in half as usual but also joins half way along so you can pose the engine in the chassis with the tail off. I glue them and tried to improve my putty and sanding techniques. I laid down a coat of Pledge before I applied the Tamiya paints.

I might have to cast a wider net for metal coloured paints. So far what looked kind of OK was some Flat Aluminium and Tintanium Silver ( the darker one)...I masked off a few panels to kind of emulate the variation one sees in NMF planes. No experience with this.

I'll add pitot and Cannon barrels from brass.

post-4-1126871144.jpg

when I built it I was having a rest from my FW190...I needed it. I was happily glueing together, painting and sanding fully expecting the X 2 holes on the port side to be for some flight sensor. oh no...they were meant for a ladder, which given it is wheels up...um...would look strange. I opted not to fix it becasue my 7years old darling just wants her plane. The tail looks extra glossy. I think this is becasue its a semi-gloss to start with...the Tamiyas are very flat off the gun.

As for the Pledge...I tried a 50:50 mix first. ;) Its supposed to have wonderful self-leveling properties ( trust me I've used products that do that beautifully) but at this consistency I found I got runs from too much material. I was trying to get a gloss straight off the gun which is what I expected but no dice. ( Coolie...you might be able to advise here?). I found it had more of a satin finish...so I checked the bottle and no marking to specify what it is.

I also tried straight, no thinning and it went on fine...to me it had the consistency of milk ( yum :( ) but still this pesky satin finish. In the past I've used Tamiya gloss and Testors enamel gloss and 100% no runs, silky smooth and glossy.

Open to suggestions/hints

PS thanks to the guys..I think it was Koala and Mark who suggested infranview...oh man...so much easier to control file size outputs and free to download

post-4-1126872240.jpg

The finish looks just right to me: high gloss on the painted red sections and satin finish on the 'aluminum'.

If "Pledge" is the same as "Future", it tends to soak in when applied over flat paints leaving a satin finish. Applying it straight (no thinner) improves the gloss over flat paints.

Looks good Matt!

D

PS

"Pledge" in the USA is a spray-can furinture wax that is not interchangeable with "Future"!

Matt,

Your Mig looks very nice. I quite like the engine (it makes a good comparison against the Matchbox SeaVenom Ghost engine). I concur with 'D' about your finish - it looks smooth and authentic (in a sort of SAAB way!).

Cheers

Derek

Whoa Matty nice work mate B) . If that is a "dog" then you have certainly done a beaut job on it :blink: . Looks bloody great to me. When you say "I tried a 50/50 mix with the future" , what did you use bud? If it was flat base, that would explain the satin finish. If not, I am surprised it has the "satin" appearance. Anyways it all looks AOK to me mate. Good effort. Excellent work.Cheers and model on :D Jim

what did you use bud? If it was flat base, that would explain the satin finish. If not, I am surprised it has the "satin" appearance.

Yeah thanks guys for the nice words.

Jimbo I used Isopropyl Alcohol.

I guess what I was looking for was a finish like the FW190A in 1/32 I've been building. This one was with Tamiya gloss and when the decals go on that they just nestle in nicely. In the end I suppose the objective is to get a smooth surface to avoid that silvering of decals and to facilitate the flow of any washes. So if satin finish is how its going to work out then despite not being shiny it'll be OK.

No flat base used :blink: wrecked a P51 using that stuff once...lets say it looked like it was serving in Korea ( in winter B) ) I've been heading into the gunze though and looking at them most are semi-gloss so I suppose are more apt to becoming ,extra glossy with Pledge.

Fair dinkum...before joining LSP I had never used putty...now look at me...thinking of Waldron/home made tap and dies.

Plan is some more Pledge tonight then later tomorrow arvo Amber has insisted we work on her plane...Decals and washes...oh and Barbie DVD something in the background on the PC...gotta love em eh?

post-4-1126957749.jpg

hey mate, nice 15...and nice 190 too. With the Pledge I only really dilute it to get rid of the pinkish tinge...if you havent noticed this then its all good!.. I use more the semi gloss enamels from humbrol and testors and have always found pledge to come out nice and shiny (my digi camera went with the ex so i cant show you) to the point where I have tried mixing it with flat acrylic finishers to knock some of that off.

The other thing is I'm a brush painter so that might effect it too...

Maybe try drawing some of the excess off with a soft cloth

Looks really good so far.

I also have one of the Trumpeter MiGs, the 15-UTI (trainer version) which I picked up for around £4 inc.P&P on Ebay. I still haven't started work on it, mainly because I can't decide which colour scheme to paint it in!

Nice looking MiG so far there Matt!

As for the future/pledge issue if you apply it to a flat finish it soaks righ in and you end up with a semi-gloss/satin result. That's why I just use PollyScale acrylic clear gloss anymore. I apply it after the panel wash. Then I decal, more weathering, panel line accent, stains, grime, etc. then do a final spary of PollyScale acrylic flat or semi-gloss/satin (depending on the type of plane I'm doing).

Jeff