1/24 Spit Vb Airfix

PietvWdV

Yet another Airfix 1/24 horror. I ordered this kit before I learned, but hey, it's all jazz in the end.

As this kit is a gift for dad, to be locked in a display case closed up, I have not bothered with the cockpit too much and not with the engine at all. The object of this excersise is to try out pre-shading, as learned from the kind folks here at LSP. I will also conduct a few other experiments and refine some older ones.

So first up, the raw preshading. I did it with black and before applying the appendages like areals and so.

post-4-1124645040.jpg

Now here is the preshading having been cut back by some creative sanding. The sander I use is in the picture. I now buy all my sanding stuff from manicurists. They have these in fine grit mounted on tensioned foam, hard grits, they even have sticks that will re-polish a clear canopy. Great stuff.

post-4-1124645314.jpg

Man that looks great without any paint on it!!

Great idea about cutting back the preshade. I imagine that you'll need to have pretty thin paint in light coats to keep that effect eh? Great idea!

Yes, and when you have sunken rivets , you have to be extra carefull to not take off all the preshade.

I might try painting by the following technique: Turn open the airbrush and sprah a huge cloud of vapourised paint into the air, then take the kit by the tail and swing it through the cloud. :rolleyes:

No seriously, I have just been finishing the underside in light grey. I figured if the experiment will flop the grey will show it first. So far it looks great, and I needed only 1 thin coat to complete. I am re-thinking my entire approach to painting...mmmmmm...as they say in jazz "less is more"

All the best

Piet

Looks great Piet. Curious about your ratio in paint/thinner for the coat you put down? Did you end up putting down only the one coat? End result looks great and photos good as well mate.

lol...paint cloud... :rolleyes:

I use something similar in concept to your sander. I use double sided tape squares ( they cost $2Aus for 350 in a pkt from at the local bric a brac shop) a thin dental spatula with nice stiff handle and then whatever grade of Wet n Dry abrasive paper. Conceptually the same as what you are doing. The nice thing is that some spatulas come in point headed shapes to get into tricky parts or corners.

Cheers mate

Matt ( going to give preshading another bash now)

PS Hope Rosie comes to you soon :(

Alas Rosie is not here yet! But I am waiting in antissssssiiippppppppp

pasion

Anyways, work on the spitty-fire's makeup continues. I sprayed some chrome silver on spots where I would like some chipping later, and then proceeded to the camo job.

post-4-1125175393.jpg

I then used some prestick rolled to demarcate the lines and sprayed the gree. This is a kinda adaptation of the trick by Scalephantompierremadmandude on the peace icarus. It works well.

BTW, the purple stuff in the previous pic is some maskall I applied to parts to help with a paint chipping effect. I was not happy with the result and re-sprayed it. I think it would work well with heavily chipped planes like jap army planes and so on, but not on a pretty spitty.

post-4-1125175812.jpg

Now, I shall wait for it all to dry (2 or 3 days) and then put a coat or 2 of future on before starting with washes.

A week ago I attended my first meeting of an IPMS club in Pretoria. A very odd group of guys. One guy mentioned something about future and so I asked him what the South African equivalent was. He told me there was not really one and the ones there were yellowed terribly. He said that he was the only one in the club with future becuase he bought it himself in the States.(And he wasnt sharing)

Well,my BS sensor was ringing off the hook, so I moseyed on down to the mall and looked through the floor polishes until I found Mr Muscle with an interesting trademark on the label. I bought it (in 2 exciting flavours, wild berry and fresh) and proceeded to experiment. I found no yellowing so far (and no mention of it elsewhere on the future expert sites, insofar as SA products go) and have had only joy. I think Pretoria IPMS can kiss my spitty-fire.

post-4-1125176566.jpg