Revell 1/32 Hawker Hunter FGA Mk9 In Brown & Green

TaffyMan

Hi time to put this one on the display shelf so here is my RFI pictures

First – Bit used :-

True Details Resin cockpit

Apart from the minor problems with the seat this was very good and didn't need any adjustment to fit. Just lots of dry fitting to check as you go.

Flightpath PE

I found this industrial thick and a real pain to cut! Didn't use all of it just some bits, jet pipe, main wheel wells and the flaps being the major bits. I couldn't get the flaps to fit at all which was very annoying, as it took me ages to make them and I did like their looks! The instructions are very vague and IMHO not very clear at all but the main wheel wells look pretty good!

Wouldn't bother with the Flightpath cockpit bits, as the True Details Cockpit is so much easier to deal with and will give you better detail for far less pain.

Masters Pitot Tube

This looks very nice and is a step up from the kit part. The only thing was mine had a very slight bend in it! But I managed to get it pretty straight, not perfect but it will do for me! As know one has noticed unless I point to it.

Main coloures are all Humbrols new UK paints with some other parts painted in my first adventure into Alclad. All finished off with my depleting supply of MM Semi and Matt varnish.     

The kit is okay, had some fit issues (some coursed by me) but some of it could have been designed better by Revel which would have made the construction a lot easier and give a better finish – The build can been seen HERE.

Right from the off, when I bought this kit I wanted to do something different to RAF Green and Gray as I have quite a few kits to come in these colours – so I needed some verity! Doing the research I had come across some references to the Rhodesian Hunters and their uses. So as these, in the beginning, carried no national markings I thought it would be a challenge to try and make a convincing looking surface without any roundels which IMO is when the model starts to get a real look and gives the surface some interest. I also found obscure references to both Sidewinders and a ‘home made reconnaissance pod' made from a wing fuel tank. I tried to find some more info on these but couldn't find any. So went with making it up from some educated guesses.

So anyway enough of :blah:   lets get to the pictures!!!!! :D

I wasn't sure if I could pull off the camera pod so from the outset I made the pylons so that I could swap around the ordnance – So first with the SNEB Pods

085-Hunter-Mk9_zps6pv2hagt.jpg

086-Hunter-Mk9_zpss6s6zrcc.jpg

087-Hunter-Mk9_zps9oilrbg2.jpg

088-Hunter-Mk9_zpspza9eijj.jpg

089-Hunter-Mk9_zpsv9r1ovys.jpg

Then swapped out for the small wing tank and camera pod.

090-Hunter-Mk9_zpsjcrleowf.jpg

091-Hunter-Mk9_zpsdn3yu0fk.jpg

Now with the cover of the cameras

092-Hunter-Mk9_zpszvq4i0xt.jpg

Did a lot of work in the wheel wells - Flighpath and Scratched

093-Hunter-Mk9_zpsixd0ctvv.jpg

A shot off all the bottom bits

094-Hunter-Mk9_zps0hdmeqet.jpg

Okay - got some more to poat so back in a mo

Taff - :D

Okay Back with part two

The flightpath jet pipe

095-Hunter-Mk9_zpsjwd5hlya.jpg

Some walk around pictures

096-Hunter-Mk9_zpsixnr6asv.jpg

097-Hunter-Mk9_zps3uulfh1j.jpg

098-Hunter-Mk9_zps1nequhef.jpg

099-Hunter-Mk9_zpsyod1mixs.jpg

100-Hunter-Mk9_zpsbdft9yx4.jpg

101-Hunter-Mk9_zpsxpsplmhs.jpg

102-Hunter-Mk9_zps6yk2xdmb.jpg

103-Hunter-Mk9_zps0cdlneiy.jpg

Okay quit a few picture hope it's not to much and not boring for you to look at!!

Right lads and lasses - last build for a while as I need to pack all my bits away for now, ready for a house move (when we get a confirmed dates) so I do hope you like her - let me know your thoughts and big thanks for all who followed along on the journey.

Till next time happy modeling!!!!!

Taff :D

What a beautiful job! Well done. Two comments, on the use of the Sidewinder, the Rhodesians did have and carry them, both in South Africa for training, and in Rhodesia itself as a war load. There are photos on the interweb. As regards the lack of national markings, the camouflaged hunters carried the Dog and Bone Roundel for a while, and then for "plausible Deniability" these were removed for external raids. One wonders where the deniability was, as no one else in Southern Africa used Hunters..... Again, congratulations on a great build