RNZAF P-40N, Sea Blue Grey scheme

seiran01

Finally got my 2nd RNZAF P-40 "quick build" finished, this one is the Hasegawa -N kit in 32nd scale, with Ventura decals for the 1944 sea blue grey scheme often associated with the home-based training squadrons. Quick Build is in quotes as i put little effort into filling seams and detail painting, the thing has been sitting half built on my shelf for 6 months so it's not really quick! Maybe "lazy build" is more appropriate :whistle:

There's conflicting information on whether or not the -N's served in this scheme or if this particular plane was a standard operational foliage green / grey scheme but hey, how often do you get to see a P-40 in a scheme that isn't green or brown? :frantic:

Paint is all tamiya, the topside color is a mix of XF-8 Flat Blue, XF-18 Medium Blue, and XF-2 Flat White

Hope you like it!

Mike

2014-05-31.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Mike

Awesome work on the P-40, as it's great to see an unusual scheme. Fit and finish is wonderfully done

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Hi Mike,

Very Interesting colur scheme :lol:  I quite like it.

Any aircraft that the RNZAF received, tended to stay in colours received in at the time, eg P 40-N would have been OD/NG on arrival.

Camouflaged P 40's remaining in New Zealand for advanced fighter training eventually did have an application of NZ Sea Blue Grey, but it was more to cover the Dark Earth colour, so you had camouflage of Dark Green/NZ Sea Blue Grey/Sky.

There were some P 40-M's that arrived in RAF camouflage (Dk Green/Dk Earth/Sky) painted in US manufactured paints, that did have the Dark Earth repainted not long after arrival, in NZ Sea Blue Grey, prior to departure to the forward operational Areas. That was more to keep in line with current paint schemes.

Circa late 1943  to early 1944 the P 40's were repainted in Foliage Green /Sky Grey (actually a Green-Blue-Grey colour).

Returning P 40's from the forward operational areas still in OD/NG were repainted in Foliage Green/Sky Grey, on their return or some time after their return. - They were not going Overseas again, the mighty F4U-1's were taking their place.

Of note is Geoff Fiskens Wairarapa Wildcat, it had its colourful cowling feature of the cat repainted in Foliage Green/Sky Grey, on/after return to New Zealand.

Thanks for sharing your build with us, it's really quite cool. :goodjob:

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSmodeller

Thanks Alan, I kind of expected that to be the case but I just wanted something a little different :-)

I've built Wairarapa Wildcat as well, think the link is in my signature but can't confirm as I can't see sigs on my phone