1/32 Trumpeter A-4E Scooter: 8/4/17 Crossed the finish line

Joel_W

Joel,

Looks great with some paint on.  Can't wait to see how the weathering goes.

Gaz

Gary,

I gotta 1st get the decals on, and I'm still not quite yet there. 

Almost June and soon you'll be in Alaska. Sure hope your Dad has internet service. hate to be out of touch for all that time.

Joel

Joel, just ignore me buddy....you have the situation well in hand!

Look forward to seeing some colour on her and keep up the great work!

Cheers

Anthony

Anthony,

No way buddy, you've always given me solid advice, and I'm most appreciative of it. 

Joel

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after another week I've finished with the basic painting the Scooter including the flying surfaces as stations. Rather then use the kit decal for the antiglare panel, I masked it, the painted it with Tamiya XF-69 Nato Black. The nose of the VMA Scooters were white not black, so that was painted as well with Tamiya XF--2. Finally I painted the leading edge of the wings where the slats slide up and down Tamiya X-7 Gloss Red, but it will be greatly toned down during the weathering stages.

kUjCel.jpg

sA2n4p.jpg

All the flying surfaces were painted as well. Here's just a few of them. And the split flaps were painted Red on the inside surfaces, but I forgot to take a picture of them.

GtDA32.jpg 

I've also been working on the 5 stations. As Eric said for some reason Trumpeter had the stiffening braces on the larger 2 & 4 position stations, but left them off the smaller 1 & 5 stations. Trumpeter didn't reverse one of each station, so that the panels ended up on the wrong side and the stiffening braces would cover the wrong side. But since I haven't the skills to mold new ones, I added the braces across the larger single panel then across the two smaller ones. Also the black basing effect is stronger in the photo then in real life. 

JqUiZ3.jpg

Last was dealing with the white rudder. VMA 211 had the spaces between the rudder braces painted gloss Red. At 1st I was going to paint them, then mask and paint the white, but there is a lip along the inside edges that really made masking a challenge, and I just didn't like the end results. So I opted to go with the AOA decals which are each individual on the sheet. I did have some touch ups to do, and the back of the rudder I hand painted carrying over the colors from one side to the other. I guessed at this as I couldn't find a picture to verify it one way or the other.  

MhiFyS.jpg

Next up is a few coats of Tamiya X-22, polish it out some, then decaling. 

Joel

Guest Peterpools

JA

Terrific work on laying down the color cotes. The black basing looks perfect and the rudder requires wearing sunglasses!

Keep 'em coming

Bro

NICE modulation of the primary color Joel.  This will be a stunner very soon!

Cheers,

Chuck

Chuck,

Thank you for stopping by and checking out my Scooter build. It's much appreciated.

While I really do like the effect of color modulation I achieved with Black Basing, there are a few areas that I think I've gone a little to far, but will live with them on the fuselage. Pete has mentioned to me that I've pushed it a little too much on the stations, so I'm going to give them another light coat of Tamiya XF-2 White. 

JA

Terrific work on laying down the color cotes. The black basing looks perfect and the rudder requires wearing sunglasses!

Keep 'em coming

Bro

Bro,

You got blow by blow emails as I worked through the painting process. I was kind of surprised that overall it turned out that well. But as you pointed out the stations are a little over done. I went back and looked, and kind of liked that look, but checked out a lot of Marine Scooters, not Navy ones, as they tended to get a lot dirty, but the stations didn't seem to reflect that as I painted them. So I'm taking your suggestion and will be giving all of them another light couple of coats of XF-2 White to tone it down. But if I go to far :oops: , then I'm officially blaming you :fight: 

Joel 

Now thats what we are talkin about......Awesome mate!

Anthony,

Thanks my friend for checking the Scooter out. So glade that you approve of my efforts.

Joel

That's looking beautiful Joel! I'm really impressed with how you have approached and executed the paint.

Tony,

Thanks my friend. Black Basing really does kick it up a few notches. And the best part is it's so easy to do.

Joel

Joel,

The surfaces look great! Sometimes you just can't beat the decals.

Gaz

Gary,

Thanks for stopping by and having a look at where I am in the build. 

Joel