Taking the Plunge: Kitty Hawk P-39 Airacobra WIP

quang

Hi Madcop, thank you for your suggestion but according to my 'reference' photo, the extension must be located just behind the spinner. Furthermore, putting the plug in front of the windscreen would only move the nose gear forward .  :doh:

image_16.jpeg

image_25.jpeg

DFA456E1-1C81-4188-9174-E930BA20CE9F.jpg

Right on Quang. i am so glad to see somebody else tackling this beauty. I will follow with interest. I am not sure how far you are willing to go with this chase for details, but if you interested I can provide you with an update of imperfections, omissions and errors that I found along the way.

Cheers

Martin

PS: Steve has a good point the radio hatch has a wrong shape and location.... but thats just the beginning :)The-Airacobra-Peashooter.jpg

Edited by Martinnfb

The rear fuselage stretch is need there for that is where the shortfall is. The proportional location of the radio hatch needs it, even more so for the SH kit. It was the nearly square hatch that didn't seem to locate quite right on that kit versus the hatch on photos that helped tip me off to the dimensional bug with the various P-39s to start with.

Hi Steve,

That would mean I'll have to move the radio hatch somewhat. :crying:  I have the rudder and the supercharger intake to deal with first.

Right on Quang. i am so glad to see somebody else tackling this beauty. I will follow with interest. I am not sure how far you are willing to go with this chase for details, but if you interested I can provide you with an update of imperfections, omissions and errors that I found along the way.

Cheers

Martin

PS: Steve has a good point the radio hatch has a wrong shape and location.... but thats just the beginning :)The-Airacobra-Peashooter.jpg

Thank you Martin. It's your build that convinced me to jump into the fray. 

Up to now, my main worries were the fuselage length and the wheels. But no doubt there's more :frantic:  Your insight is very welcome of course.

The results of the rough filing and sanding are pretty convincing to me. I'm sold. The contours look just fine from what i can see.

Now... About that gun access panel on the nose. Any chance you can press on it from the back side and make it more flush with the surrounding fuselage skin?

-d-

Hi David,

The gun panel joint is perfectible. I admit I was a little heavy-handed. In fact all the removable panels fit admirably but they need a very light touch and a thin plastic cement like MEK applied with a fine brush.

Correcting the tail.

A sheet of celluloid is placed on the reference photo and the correct contour cut out. The resulting shape is transferred to a sheet of 0.10" plasticard.

B797B478-DFE1-4249-8F20-97892BF18046.jpg

Plastic card with the correct profile

FF5CE2C3-B9E9-41B7-82F7-8ED2FD5FBEAE.jpg

The correct profile is glued on the right fuselage half.

32B5E3A0-9D8F-4006-9C3B-EF41A83CAA7D.jpg

Milliput is applied and sanded. 

D6B573EB-EB95-4283-B1EB-CADE90E97BA5.jpg

It may be just a matter of half a millimeter but the result is noticeable and well worth it.

30D6B9BE-1154-4502-8687-C02BFBDB70BD.jpg[/u

• 2 weeks later...

Now that most of the foundation work is done, I'm turning my attention to the cockpit.

KHM gives us the bare essential and some more. The basic componants (seat, instrument panel, control stick, …) are er… basic but they're accurate size-wise and their respective location spot on. What we have is a very sound base for some super-detailing work. 

Let's start with the seat. The edges are thinned up and a tiny amount of Milliput applied all around to simulate a rolled metal effect. New rails from plastic rod.

Seat.jpg

The instrument panel. The lay-out of the instruments differs from variant to variant but I won't be too touchy about it. More important is the central console with its distinct 30° slope. I used the stock IP as a base for Eduard photoetched instruments. The console was scratch-built with plasticard.

Instrument%20Panel.jpg

The cockpit floor of the P-39 was a particularly cluttered affair. Boxes and controls were added with scratch-built items and others from modified Eduard etched parts. Of note is the all-important relief tube from Milliput, a nod to the old Monogram kits.

Cockpit%20bare.jpg

Complete cockpit lay-out. I reworked the control stick cover with Milliput.

Cockpit2.jpg

Cockpit%20complete.jpg

Cockpit in situ in the LH fuselage half. I intend to keep the left door closed like it was in practice. Brass lining on door comes from Eduard.

Fuselage%20LH.jpg

A view from the right. Brass parts from Eduard (the map case is particularly nice). I removed the armor plate behind the seat and added a harness attachment bar from stretched sprue.

Cockpit%20RH%20door.jpg

That's all for today, folks.  

Thank you for watching.

Cheers,

Quang

@Marus: thank you for the kind words. There are still the seat belts and some wiring to add, then off to the paint shop. 

@madcop: You're right. I like doing cockpits and interiors. Some say it's the main reason I build model planes. Others say I stop at that !  :BANGHEAD2:

I'm still busy with that pesky dorsal air intake.

As soon as I think I got it right, a new photograph comes up with something different. Is it possible that there were several types of intake? Does anyone (Martin?) have a photograph with a plan view (from above) of that @ intake ?

Thank you for your help,

Cheers

Quang