VVS Yakovlev Yak-3 from the 402nd FAR, Spring 1945

Basilisk

Lovely work Peter.  :m0152:

This is going great, nice work

Cheers

Dennis

Peter,

The cockpit is really impressive. the seat pan does indeed look more like the real one thinned from the inside out. 

Joel

Wow, very nice progress here. I like what I see.

Thank you all for commenting.

I got the interior primed black and then painted in AMT-14 grey. I also added some lighter highlights, but it doesn't show too well on the pictures.

Yak-3-50.jpg

Yak-3-51.jpg

Yak-3-52.jpg

I first used Mr. Paint which is a terrific paint for airbrushing and I love using it, but the shade was just not right as it was a little on the blue side.

So it was time to have a go at the Alan lacquer paint I purchased a while ago and it is a much better match I think.

Yak-3-49.jpg

Its not a huge difference and most likely irrelevant when the cockpit is weathered and closed. But it was a good opportunity to try the paint for the first time. So the picture of the painted cockpit are with a coat of Akan over Mr.Paint. default_biggrin.png

But the Akan paint was rather thick and I added around 70% of leveling thinner. It then airbrushed as nice as the Mr. Paint stuff without any tip drying at all.

But when I added some Akan white for the highlighting to the grey, the white didn't mix very well with the grey, making airbrushing rather unpredictable. I then added Mr. Paint white instead which worked very well indeed.

Hope to get some detail painting done during next week.

Thanks for watching.

Cheers, Peter

Peter,

The Akah paint does look a little grayer and darker when compared side by side. But alone in the cockpit and closed up with some weathering, and I don't think that it would be noticeable to even a judge with a pen flashlight.

Joel

• 3 weeks later...

Just caught up with this build - Great progress so far, loving the loving attention you're giving to this.

Torben

Thanks Torben, this kit deserve a bit of loving care :)

Peter,

The Akah paint does look a little grayer and darker when compared side by side. But alone in the cockpit and closed up with some weathering, and I don't think that it would be noticeable to even a judge with a pen flashlight.

Joel

You right Joel, but it gave me a good reason to try the Akan paint!

Unfortunately progress is a bit slow at the moment as other tasks which needed to be done didn't leave much time to work on the Yak.

I decided to airbrush the top of the side consoles as i figured it is easier than brush painting them. But it needed some tricky masking.

Yak-3-53.jpg

The result looks good and I finally finished the detail painting.

Yak-3-56.jpg

Yak-3-57.jpg

Yak-3-58.jpg

Gloss varnish next, followed by decals and a pin wash. Then a flat varnish followed by filters, weathering and chipping and all sealed of by a satin varnish!

That is the plan ...

Cheers, Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks chaps. Here is more of the same, but now after a wash and decaling and a flat varnish in place.

The instructions are very clear where to place the dial decals and each decal has the corresponding letter next to the  dial as well.

Yak-3-59.jpg

But I managed to place the third row dials onto the second row on the IP - even thinking that the size is a bit too large... Of course I only realized the mistake after adding decal softener default_wall.gif

Fortunately I had some airscale and Mike Grant dial decals which contained some similar looking dials - at least my IP is now unique default_wink.png

Yak-3-60.jpg

I also applied some parts of airscale and Mike Grant placards to the side consoles.

Yak-3-60b.jpg

And the upper panels.

Yak-3-64.jpg

The radio does look smart with the dial decal in place.

Yak-3-63.jpg

I am aware that this all gets a bit repetitive and I am afraid there will be more of the same after filters, weathering and chipping are in place next followed by a satin varnish coat to seal it all. :shrug:

Thanks for watching.

Cheers, Peter

Peter,

That's some of the most detailed detail work I've ever seen. The IP looks perfect as does the rest of the pit. And that radio with the decaling and cabling, almost looks real. I'm really looking forward to your next update.

Joel