Modeling a Squadron

Bill Cross

It's appealed to me for some time to do a line up of 43(F) Sqn RAF Phantoms, as they flew their FG1s (F-4Ks) all the way through the glossy full colour era in 1969, through to the drab, dead grey schemes when they retired in 1992. About four of the forthcoming HKM kits should reasonably suffice, leaving out anomalies such as tactical camo with grey radomes and the grey scheme with black radomes.

I can't cover them all as I need in addition at least three Royal Navy schemes and some FGR2s: a 54 Sqn RAF one with the big EMI recce pod.

And maybe a 41 Sqn RAF sharkmouth with recce pod.

With aftermarket, I'm hoping about a grand should cover it.

Edited by Chek

I'm more inclined to the history of a unit, ie a line-up of types operated. Eg 74 Sqn RAF - SE.5 to Phantom via Spitfire and Lighting. But this has some great ideas.

This is something along this lines of what my plans are. I've built the Golden Dragons A-7 and have the kits for the F-18 and the A-4.

Also planning on as many of the Blue Angels that I can.  So far I have decals and kits for the Hellcat, Bearcat, A-4, F-4 and an F/A-18.

Thunderbirds I have built the 5 F-16's in flight, I have the F-4E kit and decals, the Tamiya F-16 kit, F-100 w/ decals, F-105B with decals and hoping a T-38 actually comes to fruition one day.

I did plan to do an I-16 group on skis in the winter. I still have all the kits. Not much cost overhead for decals. I was put off a bit about the snow. Now that I am retired and this inspirational discussion I am making a note.

Rick