Oxygen bottle colour for Tamiya's Corsair.....

Wolf Buddee

Not sure what military inventory you're managing, but the US standard for oxygen is now, and AFAIK has always been green.  Color coding of gas cylinders is for a very good reason.  

I beg to disagree. I've seen many WW II color photos of a/c interiors which show the oxygen bottles and they are yellow. Examples are the P-61, B-17, B-24, etc.

High pressure oxygen cylinders are green.  Low pressure oxygen cylinders are yellow.  Since low pressure oxygen systems aren't used much any more (I've never seen one on an operating aircraft (warbirds not included)), you'll mostly see the high pressure oxygen bottles.  I'd send a PM to Dana Bell and ask him what color he thinks these cylinders would be.  I seem to recall reading somewhere that they were indeed unpainted steel.  I don't remember where or when but I do recall reading it.

Martin... a BRIEF history??? :rolleyes:

Edited by Juggernut

High pressure oxygen cylinders are green.  Low pressure oxygen cylinders are yellow.  Since low pressure oxygen systems aren't used much any more (I've never seen one on an operating aircraft (warbirds not included)), you'll mostly see the high pressure oxygen bottles.  I'd send a PM to Dana Bell and ask him what color he thinks these cylinders would be.  I seem to recall reading somewhere that they were indeed steel colored.  I don't remember where or when but I do recall reading it.

Martin... a BRIEF history??? :rolleyes:

Actually yellow is air, green is oxgen

Not sure what military inventory you're managing, but the US standard for oxygen is now, and AFAIK has always been green.  Color coding of gas cylinders is for a very good reason.  

Every fluid line in an aircraft is color coded at each end at the very least in addition to oxygen cylinders.  I don't ever recall seeing nitrogen cylinders anything but steel nor do I recall seeing engine fire extinguishers being colored either.  The lines are color coded by decal at each end but not the cylinders themselves.  Composite cylinders can be painted but I don't have any experience with those except oxygen and they were painted green (1850 psi).

Actually yellow is air, green is oxgen

No, that's not true.... Page 10 from the B-17G Pilots Handbook

Q5epW5v.png

D80GJT2.jpg

The above photo was taken from: http://www.398th.org/Images/Images_Welty/Text/Welty_AfterWar_Pittsburgh.html and is for discussion purposely only and used under the fair use clause of the U.S. Copyright Law.

Edited by Juggernut

I think we need to back up a few steps.  We are confusing tanks with bottles.  The oxygen bottle would be green? a tank is yellow?

tanks, bottles, samey-same.  bottles are usually smaller.  Standard pressure in the B-17 Oxygen system is 400 psi (low pressure).  Walk around bottles would be charged to the same and should've been the same color. but I can't find a photo of one just yet.  In your photo of the green bottle, there should be a pressure rating on it someplace.  That would be a high pressure oxygen bottle and is labeled as a bailout bottle.

Edited by Juggernut

I don't really care but a bottle is a heavy steel or cast iron high pressure vessel to hold high pressure gases and usually transportable used with a pressure regulator. A tank is usually a sheet metal formed low pressure tank.

Ok maybe I need to back up even farther,  what is in the Corsair? regardless of what its called.  It is a high pressure XXXX or a low pressure XXX.  I am making the assumption from how it looks that it's a high pressure XXXX that is replaced after every use and therefore green.....  I don't know if it was a replaceable unit or just filled? 

I guess that's really the question.