How do you remove parts from the sprue?

CANicoll

So kind of taking a poll to see how you all remove parts from sprues - plastic and extending the category to resin and PE as well.

I've been using a variety of Xuron cutters over the years to mostly good effect but recently bought (at Nationals) one of those dual sided razor saws and have been using that where and when I can on plastic and resin.  I REALLY like it.

I've traditionally used nippers but perhaps its the way I use them, but sometimes I end up with a divot out of the part I'm cutting from the sprue esp on wing edges and fuselages.  Seems what I do is fine for smaller parts.  Hence trying the razor saw (which is a double edge blade held in a handle). 

Nippers sometimes also tweaks clear plastic so have been increasing trying to use a saw or #11 blade to take those parts off.

What do you use?  I'm looking to see if there are 'better' ways of doing what I've been doing...

• Styrene:  Xuron nippers (straight, and angled), #11 Xacto blade for very small parts, razor saw (current fav)
  • Clear styrene: double edge razor saw - fine tooth end, #11 blade for small parts, serrated Xacto blade
  • Resin: 6" razor saw for large pours, double edge razor saw, medium tooth for larger parts (seats, etc) serrated Xacto Blade for smaller parts (instrument panels, etc).
  • PE:  Rounded Xacto blade (against glass base),  Xuron PE clippers (short blade), Xuron PE sissors (my fave at the moment!).

Thanks all

Chris

Edited by CANicoll

Clippers for large parts, (cut far from part through sprue) . No 11 scalpel blade for cleaning up and small parts. I'm a veterinary surgeon so I can buy scalpel blades by the box quite cheaply. No 12 blades for PE and trumpeter razor saw for clear parts. I think most hobby blades are similar to scalpel blades.

Tamiya Sprue nippers are better than ANYTHING I ever used! They cut through plastic like butter. I worked in the electronics industry for years and I used wire nippers for fine work, I used many expensive nippers by many companies, and I honestly have to say that the Tamiya cutters are the sharpest fine cutters I have ever had, I also have serious respect for them and watch where I put my fingers

Edited by 1to1scale

Guest The Southern Bandit

Tamiya Sprue nippers are better than ANYTHING! They cut through plastic like butter.

What I use too ... it just works! for Resin, different approach of course.

I use the high grade nippers from Tamiya, which are lovely.

Never cut the piece right where the final cut will be; you need to cut away from the piece itself.

Once the part is off the sprue entirely, I then go back and cut the nibs again as flush as I can get it...then finish with sanding, not cutting with a knife. I find it too easy to accidentally gouge the part with a knife during cleanup.