47 replies to this topic

#1 ringleheim

ringleheim

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 05:46 PM

It is entirely possible that in the future, we model makers will have 3D printers bought for $79 at a giant box store and which are capable of producing even large parts with unbelievable detail and resolution.

In that world, model kit manufacturers are going to get out of the injection molding business and start selling us digital files of "kits" that we access online and print on our printers.

Assuming your magic 3D printer had virtually unlimited size capacity (within reason)....and let's say you are downloading a file of a Spitfire.

What scale would you make it?  We have always been limited to what is available or on offer from a manufacturer, or the traditional scales of 1/72, 1/48, 1/32, 1/24, etc.

What if *you* were the manufacturer?  How big or small would you want that "perfect" Spitfire (or other subject) to be? 

For something like a single engine WWII fighter, if it's one of your favorites, I think 1/32 is too small.  For other subjects that you want to add to the collection but don't need to be the centerpiece, I think 1/32 can often be too big, but with 1/48 too small as a substitute.

I also think 1/35 scale is too small for most armor subjects, and often way too small.  For example, a German Kübelwagen or a Willy's Jeep in 1/35 scale is tiny.  Tons of interesting subject matter is just too small in 1/35 scale, yet there is no real substitute on offer.  

What's your perfect scale?  And do you wish you could make the model kits you buy a different scale than what is available?  

• harvey, Bill Cross, MARU5137 and 2 others like this

#2 harvey

harvey

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,043 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 06:58 PM

I would stick to 1/32 or maybe 1/24 for single prop planes. If I were to do armor or cars maybe 1/20 to 124. Multiple engines maybe around 1/40.... Harv
  • MARU5137 likes this

There's a fine line between cuddling and holding someone down so they can't get away
working on:  Tamiya F4U-2 Night Fighter
Trump P-38M BACK ON BENCH FINISHED!!!

#3 Big Texan

Big Texan

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 07:01 PM

I like 1/32 most of all. Won't do any aircraft smaller than 1/48. I have more 1/48 than I do 1/32. 

• harvey, MARU5137 and Bomber_County like this
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, and a fool from any direction"

#4 CATCplSlade

CATCplSlade

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 07:02 PM

I am fine with 1/32 aircraft and 1/35 armor, but would probably make one like the other for diorama purposes.
  • harvey and MARU5137 like this

Working on: AIR - Revell Spitfire Mk IIa   LAND - Bandai 1/30 Hummel, Zvezda Mercedes L4500A, Dragon Kubelwagen Ambulance

#5 BiggTim

BiggTim

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,281 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 07:49 PM

1/32. Hands down. In fact, I haven't built anything smaller for 25 years or more, and do not even own anything smaller.

Edited by BiggTim, 22 September 2017 - 08:11 PM.

• Bill_S, harvey and MARU5137 like this

In progress: 1/32 Trumpy P-38L (very slowly), 1/32 Trumpy Me-109E-4, and some others.....

On deck: Can't choose between 190D-13 "Yellow 10", Hase P-47D, or Tamiya Corsair....

Completed in 2015: Hasegawa F6F-3 Hellcat, Hase Me-163 Jagerfaust , 1/16 Fokker DVII Scratchbuilt Wooden Skeleton

#6 mozart

mozart

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 07:56 PM

I love working in 1/32nd but for practicality and range of aircraft types it's 1/48th.
Max
  • harvey likes this

www.ordinarycrew.co.uk

#7 Bill_S

Bill_S

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 08:11 PM

Simply scaling is a lot easier said than done! Would thickness of parts be scaled, too? It has the potential for a lot of fit issues.

1/32. Hands down.

With very few exceptions, it's 1/32 for me as well.

• harvey likes this

I started building my shelf of doom, but I never finished it.

#8 Clunkmeister

Clunkmeister

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,029 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 08:13 PM

1/32 is my scale for 99.5% of everything I'd ever want to build. 

The one exception is huge transports and airliners, I prefer 1/72 for space considerations. I can't deal with models over a 4 foot wingspan.

I'm not much into 1/48, although I see the attraction, especially for modern jets.

• harvey likes this

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker

#9 ringleheim

ringleheim

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 12:10 AM

Not sure if everyone is getting my question here other than maybe Harvey.

I'm asking what scale you would deem "perfect" if you could print your own parts/kit and dial the scale into whatever you thought was best. 

Most of you are saying that if given the ability to make a kit in any scale, you'd stick precisely to what is randomly available now!

Really?  Like 1/20 or 1/25 or 1/29 or 1/35 wouldn't be better if you could totally control the scale yourself?

My main area of interest is WWII single seaters.  1/32 is too small for the ones I really like,  1/25 or around there would be much better, maybe a touch bigger.  

• harvey likes this

#10 Gazzas

Gazzas

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 04:24 AM

I understood what you were saying. But it's all really subjective. Smaller things would be nicer in bigger scales... Like a flakvierling would be much more fun in 1/12 than 1/35. But I wouldn't want a Tiger tank in that scale.

How big does a plane have to be? The bigger it is, the more detail is required. Most of my stuff is 1/48 because of space considerations. But I would consider 1/32 big enough for any single engined fighter.

But a twin engined or modern jet, 1/48 would do. Manipulating a 3-foot wingspan is a bit too much for fun.

Gaz
  • harvey and mozart like this

​We don't have social skills.  We build models.

#11 D Bellis

D Bellis

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 04:28 AM

No collection of scale models is a smattering of random scales. People tend to pick a specific scale that suits them, and then the vast majority of their collection is built in that scale. Everything the same scale makes sense displayed next to one another. Sure, there can be random models added that fall outside of their preferred scale for whatever reason (usually lack of availability of certain subjects in their preferred scale, or particular favorites that are larger scales than their preferred scale).

What you're suggesting (I think?) is reverting to a "box scale" mentality where various sized models are all similar sizes as opposed to being the same scale. That way of thinking went away for plastic models in the 1960s (with scant few lingering on today), and for good reason. "Constant scale" concepts proved to be FAR more desirable among plastic modelers.

Even car modeling guys can staunchly adhere to 1/25 while refusing to build anything 1/24, and vice-versa. Good luck convincing modelers like that to switch over to building 9" long cars no matter what scale it happens to be. 

So, yeah: I would stick primarily with 1/32 for whatever I could print. 

D

• harvey, BiggTim and kkarlsen like this

You can lead a person to information, but you can't make them think.

"Emotion is the enemy of reason." - Immanuel Kant

#12 Clunkmeister

Clunkmeister

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,029 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 05:11 AM

Me too 1/32 is good for me. Would I choose something different if I was inventing a scale? Maybe so, like a nice round even number, say, for example 1/24, it's easy math, but who knows, but for big birds, a numerically larger scale is important.
I like 16-24" wings on models. 3 ft is a pain but doable. But 16-24" gives good size and with the WW1 stuff I mostly do, quite adequate.

Edited by Clunkmeister, 23 September 2017 - 05:13 AM.

• harvey and BiggTim like this

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker

#13 ScanmanDan

ScanmanDan

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 06:14 AM

If not having a constant scale isn't a problem then having the model fill a 300mm x 300mm x 150-200mm volume, regardless of scale,  would be the most ideal for me. ( Maybe bigger as I do like the chunky 1/6th scale too).  I like the old Revell 1/28th scale kits as the have a good size and heft.

That said there is a long, long way to go before this 3D printing tech will be anywhere near turn key and I would posit that it will never replace traditional kits.  Too much effort and materials cost considering most kits are bought with the expectation of 'someday' building them.  It's just not the same collecting digital files as it is collecting kits.  Just my opinion mind you. :)

Dan 

• harvey likes this

A day above ground is, in my opinion, a good day.  :D

#14 BradG

BradG

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,720 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 07:13 AM

1/48 is my favourite scale, but I'll build really any old scale if I like the subject.

• harvey likes this

#15 DeanKB

DeanKB

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,326 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 09:48 AM

There are other scales??

• harvey and BiggTim like this

"First, shalt thou take out the Holy pin. Then, shalt thou count to three - no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shall thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that then thou shalt proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number is reached, then lobbeth thou thy Holy hand grenade of Antioch towards thy foe who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it. Amen"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users